Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 04:58 AM

Default Re: Beat: Barry Bonds

regardless of all the steroid talk, it's still cool, and whoever said he was a hall of famer before he hit 73 was right, but that record and the career record are going to be meaningless when 9 other people break them

also, how classy was hank aaron? every athlete out there right now could take a few pages out of his book
Old 08-08-2007, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bonds is awesome.
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-08-2007, 05:03 AM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/

i can't be the only one grossly offended by this
Old 08-08-2007, 05:13 AM

i probably have a bunch of old bonds rookie cards and [censored]. worth much these days? and is now the time to unload them, or hold on until i forget they exist again?
Old 08-08-2007, 05:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no you're not.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no you're not.

[/ QUOTE ]

what am i missing
Old 08-08-2007, 05:59 AM

ROFL that is hilarious, ansky watch it again [censored] bonds lol.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people don't know that Maris' record never actually included an asterisk.
Frick issued a statement that the record wouldn't be recognized if it wasn't achieved by game 154. With no official record book at the time it simply didn't matter.
What did matter was how announcing that ruling at the time left people thinking about Maris and his accomplishment.

The asterisk has become a symbol obviously for "tainted records". What is offensive about that pic is it's the equivalent of saying the record shouldn't count.

Now, Selig might be the worst commissioner in baseball since Frick, but not even he was stupid enough to say that.

Way to hype up the detractors SI.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:26 AM

From barstoolsports.com

"The big news of the weekend was Barry Bonds finally tying Hank Aaron’s HR record. So I guess now is as good a time as any to mention that I think this whole Bonds fiasco has been one of the most hypocritical issues of our generation. Now let me start by saying I hate Barry Bonds and I wish he wasn’t going to be the new HR king. But it has nothing to do with the fact that Bonds used Steroids. I just hate him because he’s a jerk. And to be honest I think anybody who says they would have cheered for Bonds before he got accused of using Steroids is a fraud. Cheating has always been a part of baseball. Players have used greenies, corked bats, scuffed baseballs etc. since the beginning of time. But somehow steroids have crossed a mythical line in the sand in regards to cheating. Everything else was deemed as cute and part of the game but not steroids. I’ve never understood this philosophy?Am I supposed to believe that if steroids were available 20 years ago those players wouldn’t have used them? That the players from Hank Aaron’s generation are somehow morally superior to the modern day player? That’s asinine. The bottom-line is that as technology has advanced so has the available methods of cheating with steroids leading the charge. And the kicker of the whole thing is that steroids weren’t even banned in baseball. In fact, I think you can argue that baseball actually encouraged steroid use. I mean everybody knew about it but nobody did anything to stop it. The players knew it, the coaches knew it, the GM’s knew it and the league knew it. But the bottom-line is that HR’s and specifically the McGuire vs. Sosa HR chase were great for baseball. The league turned a blind eye to steroids because they needed it. Therefore, for Bud Selig to sit there and put on this act like Bonds somehow pulled one over the game makes me want to puke. Selig knew exactly what was going on and so did everybody else. And to take this point a step further if I was a MLB player and I saw how the league was embracing the long ball and how guys were getting outrageous contracts based on power numbers I would have taken steroids in a heart beat.

And for anybody who tries to play the moral card and talks about the youth of America, I call [censored] on that too. I don’t understand how steroids can be viewed as a threat to National Security in baseball while Shawn Merriman is getting busted for steroids and voted to the all star game in the same season in the NFL. How the hell is that possible? It’s like we’re living in a bizarre world or something.

None of it makes sense to me. It never has. I know this was a long rant but I just don’t felt like I needed to chime in on this. Like I said at the beginning. I have no problem with people hating Barry Bonds. The guy is a jerk and deserves to be booed. But it has nothing to do with using steroids. Everybody did it. And I don’t know how you can blame any of them. Every era is different and has different numbers based on changes in the game. Raised mounds, segregation, big parks, small parks, expansion etc. We lived in the steroid era which was a product of the times. But it doesn’t make it worse or better than previous generations. And to make it seem like Barry Bonds is somehow a super villain or disgraced the game is just ludicrous. Boo him because he’s a jerk but not because he used Steroids because he would have been a fool not to."

even though the person who wrote it is a Red Sox fan, I agree with it 100% and anyone else who says different is just ignorant

Also, ban LionelHutz
Old 08-08-2007, 07:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well, im not totally against him, but hank aaron was way cooler.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, because you guys were best buds in high school?