Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Books: What are you reading tonight?

Heh if I were you I'd see the movie first so I don't get disappointed. The book was really good -- quite bleak too -- but there have been rumors going around for a while that the movie isn't so hot. And I'm not sure how bleak the Fresh Prince can play.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Heh if I were you I'd see the movie first so I don't get disappointed. The book was really good -- quite bleak too -- but there have been rumors going around for a while that the movie isn't so hot. And I'm not sure how bleak the Fresh Prince can play.

[/ QUOTE ]

plus, they changed the locale from L.A. to New York! That changes everything. In L.A., the protagonist has to keep exploring an ever widening circle from his home in order to gather food, supplies and kill vampires during the day. The city is laid out flat - not one big high-rise. In New York, you wouldn't think it'd be that difficult to just shore up and batten the hatches.

I'll go see this but I know I'm going to be disappointed.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:58 PM

Yeah, and L.A.'s geography has a certain anomie even before people have turned into vampires explicitly.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:25 PM

re-reading ender's game.. makes me feel like a kid again.

just finished i am legend which is an awesome, fun, quick read. the bit with the dog is fantastic.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:31 PM

I am going to read the short story first so that the movie doesn't sully the story for me. I feel pretty confident about this move. I just did the same thing with "The Mist" the last couple months. I think that seeing the movie first would have taken away from the brilliance of the story for me.

I plan to start I Am Legend tomorrow night since I have a huge paper to write tonight. Wicked is getting perpetually pushed back.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:49 PM

I am Legend is a very good book, I just got done reading it. I think the movie will probably be disappointing but meh.

I'm going to start 'The Godfather' soon. Hopefully its as good/better than the movie.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:37 AM

orange,

The Godfather is ridiculously good, in my opinion. We had it assigned to us in Prose class. I hadn't seen the movie at that time (shockingly!) and I absolutely loved the book. It has a lot of really interesting plotlines and some characters that aren't included in the movies. If you loved the movie (sounds like it) then you're going to love reading the novel. It's enjoyable and not a chore.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:47 AM

^ it's a lot weirder and funnier than the movies, too, which is nice
Old 11-28-2007, 05:33 AM

Just finished up World Without End by Ken Follet. It's the long awaited sequel to one of my favorite books Pillars of The Earth.

Pillars of the Earth, a book set in medieval England, it spans two generations and centers around religion, politics and architecture. Recently it was made an Oprah book selection, but don't let that deter you, it was a good book before she ever read it.

World Without End takes place about two hundred years after the original, and involves much the same mix. If you enjoyed the first, you'll enjoy the second. It's not necessary to read them chronologically, but it doesn't hurt.

Really good stuff, I'd highly recommend it.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:13 AM

I was at the library today and picked up Orson Scott Card's Empire randomly. I now have Wicked, I Am Legend, and that to get through.

Anyone read Empire? I've only read Card's Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow....