Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Coaching/Training > DeucesCracked.com

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 02:13 PM

Default Re: a coach for poker ???

[ QUOTE ]
JOE T, who is and was your coach anyways? Some slouch probably right [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some old hippie guy from the Bay Area, I've heard. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
JOE T, who is and was your coach anyways? Some slouch probably right [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]?

[/ QUOTE ]

I very much doubt that he or one of the other coaches here ever hired someone to teach them. They had many coaches for free. They came here to 2+2 to discuss poker. They maybe hang out together to discuss poker. And that's the way to go if you are serious about becoming a very good player. After one gets a basic understanding of poker all you need is to find people to discuss with you ; and there are many players out there willing to without that you have to pay them. Just check the strategy forums. And asking more than one player is better anyway. Getting more than one opinion will make you think more about the game. You will try to figure out who might be right and who is wrong. Sometimes there is more than 1 way to play a hand. Which of those ways fits your style better?? Read posts about other aspects of the game. (there are so many good posts..just dig in the archives ) Just this deep thinking will make you a better player. Asking a coach how to play or why he played a hand in some way will not help you much. You should try and find your own style and not becoming a clone of Joe Tall or whoever.

Maybe it's not wanted to discuss stuff like this in a paid for forum. Mods feel free to transfer to a general strategy forum.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's not wanted to discuss stuff like this in a paid for forum. Mods feel free to transfer to a general strategy forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

No this is perfectly fine discussion and we welcome all posters to join.

[ QUOTE ]
I very much doubt that he or one of the other coaches here ever hired someone to teach them

[/ QUOTE ]

I have received a lot of advice from the great players I surround myself with but I have a poker coach. No other than Tommy Angelo and have been working with him for over 3 years.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:59 PM

No this is perfectly fine discussion and we welcome all posters to join.------------------

Appreciate it and admit i thought you would rather be pissed and be happy to get rid of it.

I have received a lot of advice from the great players I surround myself with but I have a poker coach. No other than Tommy Angelo and have been working with him for over 3 years.--------------------------------

That's confusing. You want to coach people but you need a coach yourself ?
However, i have some serious question:
a.) What info you can give to your student that they can't have for free (except from you of course) ?
b.) If you are so good that you can be a coach: why not make more $$ at the tables instead of the peanuts you can make in the time coaching ?
c.) Where do you guys play live ? ( no! not coming there to play you. Just like to know)
Old 11-19-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You want to coach people but you need a coach yourself ?

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got this backwards: I do coach people in need and want to a coach for myself.

[ QUOTE ]

a.) What info you can give to your student that they can't have for free (except from you of course) ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I custom build my programs after each student gets interviewed by me. Therefore every student gets his own, unique learning experinece.

[ QUOTE ]

b.) If you are so good that you can be a coach: why not make more $$ at the tables instead of the peanuts you can make in the time coaching ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I charge $250/hr and can't keep up with demand for coaching. There aren't many jobs our there that can guarntee that rate.

[ QUOTE ]

c.) Where do you guys play live ? ( no! not coming there to play you. Just like to know)

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in Southern California, I play in the area card rooms but hand-total-wise I play more online.

I enjoy coaching. It keeps me on top of my game as I practice what I preach. It keeps balance in my poker life and is very satisfying to see a student do well.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:14 PM

I am a professional musician and I can add that as a teacher you also learn(if you are good)when you teach.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why would anybody need a coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

reason 1/many

i have met players who have played more hands than, and are better/more successful than me. i am a confident, winning live player, but humble enough to realize that i could benefit with help from a more experienced player.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I charge $250/hr and can't keep up with demand for coaching. There aren't many jobs our there that can guarntee that rate.

I enjoy coaching.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can agree to this point. Very enjoyable !
I'm surprised and shocked how many stupid people are out there.Now i' m done with this thread. To busy now to become a coach.
[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I enjoy coaching.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can agree to this point. Very enjoyable !
I'm surprised and shocked how many stupid people are out there.Now i' m done with this thread. To busy now to become a coach.
[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

My students have turned the $250 investment into thousands. I guess you weren't referring to them.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My students have turned the $250 investment into thousands. I guess you weren't referring to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all: if one of your students does win some $$ it does not mean he wouldn't have won that without you. And i doubt that your students just get one hour. (you are to smart to let them get away so cheap)

Let me take a wild guess here. An average of 8 hours per student ?? Let's assume you coach so good that after 8 sessions he can win 0.3 BB more per hour than before. Now we have to subtract 0.2 BB that he could make more if he instead of getting coaching from you would have done something himself and get advice from what you call "good players surrounding you" That gives him 0.1 BB that he gets out of your coaching.( i believe that numbers to be very generous calculated to your side )( if your student was a beginner or loser at the game the number could go up but i assume most of your students do win already) What limits does your students play. Let's say 10-20(most will probably play lower) That would be $ 2 per hour value. So , that student has to play at least 1000 hours before he makes any money from your coaching. All that assumes that any increase of win rate really comes from your coaching. If anyone now takes away 20 hours from the 1000 hours of playing time and instead invest that time into some research here and studying the game by himself and talk even more to other winning players (that does not charge) anyone would make up any increase of win rate gained from your coaching. And again: all that assumes that your coaching is better than studying the game without a coach.

This discussion leads to nothing. I just wanted to point out what i think about people that asks $$$ for talking poker with them. That should be all clear by now. Case closed.
Closed Thread