Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-22-2007, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Moving to LA to play pro @ commerce? (long)

It would be a disaster for you to move to LA, the last thing we need is more good players.

Oh, I just realized you don't care about helping my bankrools. In that case, consider the following before moving to LA:

Apartment + utilities + food + misc expenses will probably be an absolute minimum of $2.5k/mo. You'll need a car.

I think people are being silly about the driving thing, it's not that bad if you stay off the roads at all costs between 7-9 AM and 4-7 PM. As a professional poker player, that's actually pretty easy.

You'll need a 500BB bankroll to handle at least 40/80 and a few month's expenses. I wouldn't play 20/40 professionally, I don't think you'd enjoy just barely making ends meet.

The culture shock from Canada -> LA is going to be severe.

My best recommendation is this - find a buddy, a relative, anyone who lives in LA and stay with them while you try things out. Play live here for at least 4 weeks before making a final decision on whether to pull up stakes and move out.