Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Let\'s elaborate on Sunglasses

[ QUOTE ]
i also have a pretty thin face, but have found that there are several oakley styles that fit very well. currently i have the fives 3.0, which i really like.

i think you can find them for about $70 w/out polarized lenses.

also, the oakley mag four S sunglasses are built for a thin face, but i don't think they look as good as the fives.

secondly, if you're going to buy some shades and want to save some dough, i recommend checking out the sunglass section of backcountry outlet . they don't always have the widest range of color choices, but you can usually save about 50%.

[/ QUOTE ]

those are nice. I have the same style face...oakley 5s 2.0 have been in my arsenal for the past 3 years. I've rocked the polarized ones for 2 years thanks to FFK.

The lenses have taken a beating, mostly due to beach wear.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:06 PM

i dont wear sunglasses, but if I do they are cheap aviators because they are utilitarian, and my nose looks ginormous in any other type. but I dont see the point of buying super expensive ones, fashion changes from year to year so why stick to soemthing for 10 years?
Old 07-06-2007, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont wear sunglasses, but if I do they are cheap aviators because they are utilitarian, and my nose looks ginormous in any other type. but I dont see the point of buying super expensive ones, fashion changes from year to year so why stick to soemthing for 10 years?

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT, also aviators are eternally badass while most other sunglasses styles tend to look sort of metro to me.

Example: if everyone in The Matrix wore aviators instead of the strange, "fashionable" shades they wore, the 2nd and 4rd Matrix movies would have rocked as hard as the first one.

Example: this guy is awesome
Old 07-06-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus the light outside just looks better through them, and I don't get a weird rainbow effect when I have the visor down on my motorcycle helmet.

Figuring that the Toasters would cost $60-$70, I went to REI last night to buy a pair. Oops, they're $110. For non-polarized. A pair with polarized lenses costs $130.

[/ QUOTE ]

it is the polarized glasses that cause the "rainbow effect" on your motorcycle visor, and other tinted surfaces
Old 07-07-2007, 12:07 AM

I bought a pair of these Ray-Ban RB4036's with polarized lenses for daily wear and use in baseball when I am playing a position instead of pitching. They work really well for both uses, they're comfortable, and the lenses are very durable and scratch-resistant unlike my last pair of Bolle sunglasses.

They were a pretty good deal at $129, as well. Would do business with again A++++
Old 07-07-2007, 01:54 AM

i have never had a pair of sunglasses that i liked. they simply all make me look like a tool. it sucks too cause i have very sensitive eyes [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2007, 09:46 AM

I just got these the other day. I think they are the perfect shades for the beach and poker.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:35 PM

I wear my sunglasses a lot - I'm from socal and so it's usually sunny. I pretty much wear them anytime I'm outside and often end up wearing them almost the whole day (on top of my head if I'm inside). Anyways, because I wear them so much, yes, the expensive polarized sunglasses are worth it.

I spend a ton of time around the water (pool or ocean) and so the polarized lenses help a lot with the glare. Plus the expensive sunglasses will have better lenses - when I used to wear cheaper sunglasses I could really tell when I had them on. With the better lenses, the clarity is a lot better and your eyes won't get tired after staring through cheaper lenses all day.

So, if you wear sunglasses a lot, then yes I'd say to buy the more expensive ones. If you are around the water at all (or other places where there is glare) then yes I'd say to buy the polarized lenses. But if you lose/break them quickly or don't wear sunglasses that often or for that long, then you'd probably be okay with the decent $30-40 pairs.

Also, once you know what pair you want (and you've tried them on - this is important!), look around online, especially e-bay. The sunglasses I currently wear (see below) are normally 125 or so, but I got them on ebay for a total of $80 (including tax ans s&h).

Old 07-07-2007, 05:06 PM

I have had two pairs of Von Zipper aviators at $80 a piece:

These were ok, fit a little small on my head and were very fragile. I bent both frames that I had and I am not very rough with my glasses. The lenses were awesome though.

I now have this pair, $90:

I like the way these fit and the size of the lenses a lot more, but they mess up my depth perception so backing up in a car you might want to take them off. Other than that, they are my favorite pair of sunglasses I have ever worn.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:49 PM

I own a pair of Maui Jim South Shores ~$239 when I purchased them a year or so ago. These glasses (and all maui jim products) provide great clarity and are great for driving. I will never buy another brand of glasses the rest of my life. They range anywhere from 150 up to the 400s for some models, but are great glasses