Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 04:19 AM

Default ridiculous dealer behavior at the bellagio

Bellagio 2-5. Two players in pot on the river. About 300 in pot. Sb bets all-in, 205. Player on button goes into the tank. Time passes, he's talking it through, deciding. No one at the table has a problem, no one says anything.

Out of the blue, the dealer announces the size of the bet again. Then he says he's putting a clock on the guy. Button asks "how long do I have?" Dealer replies "thirty second," looks at his watch.

About this time I chime in.

1. Nobody asked for a clock.

2. Dealer cannot put a clock on a player.

3. Only the floor can put a clock on a player, and the floor was not called.

4. When the floor IS called, the player will get a minute, with a 10 second countdown.

Dealer could give a rat's ***, that much was clear, but he starts yelling for the floor at this point.

Meanwhile, the inexperienced player is confused and trying to figure out where he's at in the midst of my arguing with the dealer. He finally folds in what was a real hurry compared to his previous thinking. Dealer gets immediately pushed out.

This is very unusual for a bellagio dealer to be this far out of line. I've had my ups and downs with the B, but generally they have some of the most competent dealers in vegas. Apparently this dealer was "new."

This did go to the bossman, btw.

Al
Old 06-14-2007, 04:43 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?
Default Re: ridiculous dealer behavior at the bellagio

You weren't in the hand. IMO your only role should be to mention this to the floor-person if you feel it's appropriate. Piping up with a list of rules makes you look like a jackass know-it-all to the dealer and a nit to the rest of the players.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:57 AM

Whether a person is in the hand or not should not stop that person from pointing out what is an obvious disregard for the rules by the dealer.

If nothing is said, this behavior will continue to exist. One should speak up for what is right, now for only what is right when it matters to you personally.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:37 AM

I think piping up in the hand means Al was trying to protect a less experienced player from an out-of-control dealer who was trying to bully him. Al stated the player getting the time pressure from the dealer was inexperienced, so that guy may have no clue that what the dealer is doing is totally against procedures.

Thank you, Al, for sticking up for the newbs. I'm perfectly capable of fighting my own battles, but a helpful word or two from another player often does wonders to reign in a rampaging dealer or player and I always appreciate whatever support folks at the table want to offer.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You weren't in the hand. IMO your only role should be to mention this to the floor-person if you feel it's appropriate. Piping up with a list of rules makes you look like a jackass know-it-all to the dealer and a nit to the rest of the players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong in SO many ways. A dealers job is to move the game along, not try to impose himself on the game, and cetainly not put undue pressure on the player.

I am not suggesting this is the case here, but the dealer putting the lcock on somebody could be something pre planned between the dealer and a player at the table. Mos people seem to fold when they have the clock put on them, so the dealer could be working with the all in player. Or the dealer could be working with the thinking player, and reitterating the bet and calling the clock could be some sort of code.

Once again, I am not suggesting this is what happened here, but it is not beyonds the realms of possibility that in some joints, players anddealers work together in such a fashion.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:18 AM

I always stick up for inexperienced players who are being done totally wrong. I make my living mostly from tourists, and someone has to stick up for them.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:28 AM

Al,

heres one for you. I was playing in another room owned by the same corporation. One play was considering whether to call an all-in bet, it had been abiout thirty seconds. Floor walked over to give a fill and the floor, out o fthe blue with no one requesting put the clock on the player.

After the hand I asked the dealer if anyone had requested the clock (thinking maybe I had missed it, and she told that no one had asked for the clock).

Now this hadn't been an inoridnate amount of time, the whole reason the clock was put on the player was becaus ethe floor didn't want to have to wait to give the fill.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I always stick up for inexperienced players who are being done totally wrong. I make my living mostly from tourists, and someone has to stick up for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something that I've written about more than once here is that the entire operation of cardrooms, including all the money earned by everyone working there, comes from losing players.

The newer they are, the more likely they are to be in a losing mode. Everyone who works and plays in a cardroom needs to protect them.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bellagio 2-5. Two players in pot on the river. About 300 in pot. Sb bets all-in, 205. Player on button goes into the tank. Time passes, he's talking it through, deciding. No one at the table has a problem, no one says anything.

Out of the blue, the dealer announces the size of the bet again. Then he says he's putting a clock on the guy. Button asks "how long do I have?" Dealer replies "thirty second," looks at his watch.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Their should be a general "thirty second decision" rule in all poker games. All this "new" "deciding" b.s. is largely due to television. A competent poker player doesn't need "time" on every hand, which is what players are now doing. You must have been the "table captain", because the dealer wasn't talking to you.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Their should be a general "thirty second decision" rule in all poker games. All this "new" "deciding" b.s. is largely due to television. A competent poker player doesn't need "time" on every hand, which is what players are now doing. You must have been the "table captain", because the dealer wasn't talking to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong. This seems like a big decision for a new player. It doesn't sound like he was hollywooding; rather he needed to decide what to do with his hand. The dealer overstepped his bounds and Al spoke up. Just because you think there should be a 30 sec. clock for all decisions doesn't mean that the rule is such.