Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 07:17 PM

Default move from full ring to 6 max

I've been playing full ring small stakes limit since i started playing a couple of years ago. I have a decent win rate at 2/4 and 3/6 full ring of about 1bb/100 hands. I've decided to try to make the move to 6 max and am not doing to well after the first 2k hands or so at 2/4. I consider myself fairly strong at concepts like stealing and defending blinds. I know that I don't have too many hands yet, and I know that i haven't been running great. I just thought I should solicit some advice before I get stuck anymore than i already am. I think part of the problem may be that i don't have a good set of stats on 6max players yet.

Has anyone else made the move recently and have any advice? thanks for your help all.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:37 PM

Default Re: move from full ring to 6 max

I am pretty out of the loop regarding how full ring plays these days, but two things that I think are very important in the full-to-6-max transition are blind-stealing and showing hands down. Most likely you're encountering some bad variance, so keep playing for that reason, but also so you can get a better feel of the game (players checkraising the turn with air, 3-betting your raises with K9, etc.). Good luck (post some hands, too).
Old 05-15-2007, 07:49 PM

Has anyone else made the move recently and have any advice? thanks for your help all.

Yes, at slighty lower stakes (1/2) though.

I got absolutely crushed in my first 20k hands, there is so much you need to learn.

Not much I can say really, everything is pretty obvious. Learning it is harder though ^-^

Blind defense is more important, and marginal hands are waaaay more important. And much more variance.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am pretty out of the loop regarding how full ring plays these days, but two things that I think are very important in the full-to-6-max transition are blind-stealing and showing hands down. Most likely you're encountering some bad variance, so keep playing for that reason, but also so you can get a better feel of the game (players checkraising the turn with air, 3-betting your raises with K9, etc.). Good luck (post some hands, too).

[/ QUOTE ]

This advice is accurate, but be careful with it when you are new. I took similar advice (steal more, be more aggressive, call down more) and started 6 max as a semi maniac. Struggled for a long time with it, then eventually read some advice (Ed Miller I think) that said 6 max is still the same gave we know and love. When starting out I'd adjust slowly get a feel and then start opening up. No need to start out crazy and lose a lot like I did.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:00 PM

The key conceptual difference (rather than such concepts as looseness and aggression, yadda-yadda) is the degree to which hand values change post flop. TPGK/MPTK is often not jam worthy in FR, but can be played far more aggressively at times in 6-max.

I'd agree that it's probably best to loosen up gradually rather than trying to move from FR nittiness to immediate 30/20 LAG-supastardom - you're probably leaving value on the table playing ~24/15 or so, but until you really learn how to play many common post flop spots (Stox's book FTW in this regard, btw) this will keep you from being too spewy.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:08 PM

I play in both though at higher stakes were there is less difference. However, often times there's a different bread of player at full ring tables. Particularity, they are much more passive. FR entails much more waiting for your opportunity to win a large pot. SH is often about aggressively going after small pots.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
TPGK/MPTK is often not jam worthy in FR, but can be played far more aggressively at times in 6-max.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree with this.
Last month I moved from 2/4 FR to 1/2 SH and I think I don’t play this hands aggressively enough and miss too many value bets.
I’m also too tight (20/13), don’t have a filling for 3betting range yet.