Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2006, 01:33 AM

Default Straining to justify this play

My third orbit at a 3/6 table full of unknowns. The villain seemed normal.

I reckoned on the turn that biting on the induced bet would just be charging myself to draw, whereas a checkraise might nab me some fold equity against the marginal end of his range. Even a lot of big hands he'd have been slowplaying on the flop will be frozen by the three-flush. Conversely, another free card would be pure money.

After thinking some more, I'm beginning to wonder whether any pairs or ace-highs would actually fold the turn. Plus I was only getting about 3:2 on the play. FWIW, I checked the river ten, but probably would have fired on a blank and certainly a heart.

Preflop: (6 players) Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises</font>, 4 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4.33SB, 2 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks.

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2.17BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6.17BB, 2 players)
Hero checks...
Old 06-01-2006, 02:26 AM

Default Re: Straining to justify this play

I don't think you have much fold-equity with the turn c/r, looks to me like you're just charging yourself. A call is fine, your overcard outs are worth a little and you have some implied odds. I'd call turn and donk an A, T, or heart river, assuming no read that Villain would fire again on the river.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:48 AM

I would call the turn after you, hopefully, induced a semi-bluff and then bet out if an Ace or heart comes on the river; call a river bet UI.

You can see a showdown for the same price a the c/r and I doubt you buy much fold equity vs. AJ, AQ or AK.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:33 AM

Check/call the turn and since you hit a ten, check/call the river against an unknown, bet/fold if you can trust the guy.

You picked a very bad time to make a play on the turn. Your opponent has showed a tremendous amount of strength in this hand. He raised preflop and checked in a HU pot, do you understand that this is an extremely strong line to take by the villain. If youre going to make a play for the pot, try to pick spots where your opponents are likely to be weak, this is not one of them.

When someone checks this flop after raising, they either have a monster or nothing, and most of the time its a monster. But if you have a feeling the opponent has nothing, then just donk the turn, there is no need for a checkraise in this spot.

By the way, if you checkraise the turn and the villain calls, dont bluff the river, if you miss check/fold and save some money becuz this guy has a hand and hes not folding.

Also given that you did checkraise the turn and the villain called, once you hit the ten on the river, you should bet/fold. After your turn action the villain will never raise you with a worse hand, and if you check/call this river you will never win. So the river is between bet/fold and check/fold, make your decision. I would bet/fold after this action.