Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 11:40 PM

Default AKo in the SB against a large field - early in MTT

(This is my first ever hand post to 2+2 - please let me know if I'm out of line anywhere on my hand history!)

Live MTT. Buy-in was $50+$10, no rebuys or add-ons. 131 players entered, t800 chips, 5/10 blinds to start. Blinds are now 15/25, and at least 110 players are remaining. I have approximately t1300 after doubling up with KK vs. JJ. My image is probably fairly tight - other than the KK hand, I've really only one playable hand which I folded on the flop.

There were a few tight players, and some real LAGtards. There were five limpers to me in the SB. I look down at A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I called, planning to check-raise most flops that hit me, and fold against the large field if I missed. BB checks, pot was t175.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, and surprisingly, it checks around.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I checked, planing on check-raising. MP bets t100. I barely have the player covered, but no real read yet on their play. The field folds to me, and I raise to t400. The remaining field folds to the MP bettor. After a long thought, MP calls. Pot = t975, I have t875 behind.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I shove, and MP asks for time before finally calling.

A couple of questions...

1) Was my preflop call good here, versus raising?
2) I'm very comfortable about my play on the flop, but what about the check-raise on the turn? I figure the strength of my hand would be disguised, and I'd still have outs if I was behind. Is the betting outright preferable to the check-raise here?

Thanks for your input!
Old 11-21-2007, 11:58 PM

Default Re: AKo in the SB against a large field - early in MTT

I used to limp quite a bit from the SB with AK and AQ when there were other limpers in the pot. I've gotten away from doing this and the more limpers, the less likely I am to limp.

The problem is that if the flop hits you, it hits you big. If someone outflops you or outdraws you (which is quite frequent even when you do hit) you are going to be putting some substantial money in before you fold. Not only this, but you are out of position. I usually make a substantial raise here, probably about 6-7x the big blind with that many limpers. If you get called, you have a strong hand to play with. I bet almost any flop after that raise and more often than not, will take it down right there, not to mention all the dead money you pick up.

As played, I think I'd bet the turn. With everyone checking the flop, there are any number of weaker holdings that will give you action. Someone might (who knows why) have checked a ten on the flop. Someone could have also hit the ace and someone could just have another high club, perhaps with a pair to boot. If someone made a flush, this is going to be ugly and costly unless you make one on the river. However, by betting out, you face only the bet and raise rather than a bet, check-raise and reraise. Also, by checking the turn you might lose valuable action. There is a general rule that you need a better hand to call than to bet but many players don't follow this. Hands that would call you such as a weaker ace, an angry ten or a praying Qc might not be so quick to bet themselves.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:25 AM

Raise preflop for sure.

As played, check the flop with the intention of folding.

BET the turn for the pot. I really dislike a checkraise on a card that completes the flush.

As played, the 10 is actually a really bad card for you. You are bluffing this river. I prefer check calling it off.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop for sure.

As played, check the flop with the intention of folding.

BET the turn for the pot. I really dislike a checkraise on a card that completes the flush.

As played, the 10 is actually a really bad card for you. You are bluffing this river. I prefer check calling it off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. OP, care to explain why you shoved the river? All hands that beat you are calling and all hands that you beat are folding...
Old 11-22-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed. OP, care to explain why you shoved the river? All hands that beat you are calling and all hands that you beat are folding...

[/ QUOTE ]

In the heat of the moment, I really felt that none of the limpers would have checked a T on the flop. I felt like the T was a fairly safe card for me here. In retrospect, I have to agree with you - most hands that I beat are folding. I should have taken my time and checked the river.

In the actual hand, the MP called with A8o, misreading the board and not realizing her two pair were counterfeited, and MHIG. I was behind on the turn, but I had more outs than I expected (any club, K, or T).
Old 11-22-2007, 05:36 PM

I think that the first thing to do is weed out the field by raising the AK even though you are out of position.
Second thing, the check raise on the turn is an ok play because it allows you to see where you are in the hand. It is either a good or bad play in the eyes of most people but I think its ok because you get a feel for where you stand. I would have raised more as to commit yourself to the pot to show extreme strength. I think that something around 550 or 575 would have been an appropriate raise as to push someone off of a ten draw or a weaker two pair Ax.
The large raise is appropriate because you also have the nut flush river draw. I dont even mind the all-in on the river because it puts your opponent on a choice for all their money since you had them covered. Its a very strong play and shows a very strong hand. I think that the first mistake was not raising pre-flop and possibly not raising more on the turn.
But other than that taken into consideration the time in the tourney, a lot of players will limp into pots with Ax and that is why it is necessary to weed them out with stronger hands.