Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 09:47 AM

Default Re: The Well: QFGelfordness

[ QUOTE ]
Could you give some general advice on bet-sizing on the flop taking into account, position, number of opponents, the action before the flop, texture of the board etc. We took the initiative preflop.

spanks /lb

[/ QUOTE ]

Betsizing ... well the more opponents, the more you have to bet if you intend to bet.

But Holla ! ... listen to aba

Dry boards are kinda WA/WB situations, so you might not face a lot of heat (but might get worried if you actually do face heat) ... while wet board are slippery.

To that you need to consider if you opponent is tricky or straightforward.

The more trouble you envision the bigger you should bet, if you intend to bet that is ... and if you do not envision much heat, then you can allow yourself to scale down on your bet ... (and perhaps even practice pot control at some point ... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2007, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for doing that.

Non-poker related. You once said poker helped you get out of your [censored] job and finish your thesis.

So now that you have a master degree (in economics, right?), whats your plan for job/poker?

what was your [censored] job?

I let others ask poker related questions.

Thanks,

K

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh .. dunno yet, GF is hard on my case to get a job soon (she doesn't care what, as long as I have one), me ... well .... I really am not picky with regards to what I do, but I am looking for a place where I can just do my job and not have to play a zillion coorparate mindgames.

I was a consultant/salesperson/advisor ... whatever you call it in one of the largest realestate morgage firms. Primarily I pushed real estate loans, but also banking and insurance.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is your GF relationship regarding poker? As you and I are both 28+ and having an other-self, Id like your wisdom for the 2p2 kids on how to be able to happily mix poker and real-life. Sometimes, on my part its really hard to be both a father, husband and degenerate gambler...

Poker related, are you planning on ballin the levels up to say 50/100$ NL, or you goal would be a 10/20$, or like 400,600,1000NL?
Old 07-14-2007, 09:53 AM

how do you tableselect/gameselect/seatselect?

what things cause you to want to sit down? what causes you to want to get up? do you have any non-hud related fish detection shortcuts?

thx!
Old 07-14-2007, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Btw, Natalie Portman is way overrated, she is very pretty, but there is absolutely nothing sexy about her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, personal taste I guess. I like her style.

Anyway I got loads of new questions for you:

- What was the biggest leak that you discovered in your game and how did you fix it?

- How did you discover it?

- If you do, how do you go about finding leaks in your game? Do you or did you spend serious time on going over your or other people's (i.e. mined) hands and searched for things? What were the things that you found that were the most relevating?

- What does holla mean in the way you use it? ( [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] couldn't resist)

- What are indicators that one should go seek a coach?

- What is the highest Limit that you think one can play recreationally, i.e. without having to have your mind on the game all the time, play everyday, keep up with who is good and who's not etc. How high can one play if one just wants to fire up a few tables and make a nice profit?

- What is the biggest mistake that you see people make over and over?
Old 07-14-2007, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

How is your GF relationship regarding poker? As you and I are both 28+ and having an other-self, Id like your wisdom for the 2p2 kids on how to be able to happily mix poker and real-life. Sometimes, on my part its really hard to be both a father, husband and degenerate gambler...

Poker related, are you planning on ballin the levels up to say 50/100$ NL, or you goal would be a 10/20$, or like 400,600,1000NL?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, I meet my GF a month before that fatefull friday in April 2005, where I got my first taste of poker, so she has been here all they way.

She has seen the worst:
The poker zombie, you know that state you are in, where you just wake up, don't shave nor anything, but just start by turning on your computer and while it boots, you make coffea and then start to play.

She has also experienced plenty of downswing (Oh honey, I just lot 2K last night) ... so she is used to it,

I think the secret is to actually be aware, and spend a few hours together each day ... the worst thing you can do is allow the zombie to take over.

Pokerwise I am not aiming for the sky and gambling with aba, PA and those guys.

1000NL is what I strive for and hope to reach ... (target date is new year)
Old 07-14-2007, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how do you tableselect/gameselect/seatselect?

what things cause you to want to sit down? what causes you to want to get up? do you have any non-hud related fish detection shortcuts?

thx!

[/ QUOTE ]

At uNL the player pool is huge, but already at 100NL I know most of the regs. I basically scan the tables and if there is a good deal of unknowns, I sit.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway I got loads of new questions for you:

- What was the biggest leak that you discovered in your game and how did you fix it?

[/ QUOTE ]

My biggest leak was not threebetting light ... I discovered it on returning to cash from sngs recently and believe it was one of the biggest reasons I didn't beat 50NL for more than 2ptbb last time around. (somewhere in the first months of 2006)

My other big leak was to try and force the action when running bad, I used to play chess ... and so I am used to that you have to muscle yourself out of a bad spot if in anyway possible. Poker doesn't really allow that in the same fashion.

[ QUOTE ]

- If you do, how do you go about finding leaks in your game? Do you or did you spend serious time on going over your or other people's (i.e. mined) hands and searched for things? What were the things that you found that were the most relevating?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually this is a huge leak of mine to this day, I don't review my sessions ... I might while playing look up a HH and fire up stove .... and I am often thinking about the previous hand, while playing, but ....

But the way I improved my game the most is simply by posting here on 2+2. I never posted many of my own hands, but I typed reply to practically every hand here at some point, not being afraid of calling people out if I disagreed (else this place deteriates into one liners)

Do a search on me in march and you'll see what I mean. (since then I've mostly been active in the brew)

[ QUOTE ]

- What does holla mean in the way you use it? ( [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] couldn't resist)

[/ QUOTE ]

It originates with Raptor517 and the STTF forum ... and means Holla !

[ QUOTE ]

- What are indicators that one should go seek a coach?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have money left to spare and/or havent made any progress in a while.

[ QUOTE ]

- What is the highest Limit that you think one can play recreationally, i.e. without having to have your mind on the game all the time, play everyday, keep up with who is good and who's not etc. How high can one play if one just wants to fire up a few tables and make a nice profit?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't want to practice any table selection, then 100NL (maybe higher, but 100NL fo sho)

[ QUOTE ]

- What is the biggest mistake that you see people make over and over?

[/ QUOTE ]

Being full of themselves.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:32 AM

But on the timing tells:

Yeah, a quick check is very rarely massive strength
Old 07-14-2007, 10:41 AM

ok, one more:

how do you start a session? Do you go full force right from the beginning or do you start slow and warm up? I find myself often losing big pots at the very beginning when I'm trying to "exploit" unknowns.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ok, one more:

how do you start a session? Do you go full force right from the beginning or do you start slow and warm up? I find myself often losing big pots at the very beginning when I'm trying to "exploit" unknowns.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only way to get reads on people is by betting into them, so while I might not try wierd [censored] readless, I am very active in the first orbits.