Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2007, 05:30 PM

Default Official Weekend Movie Thread <SPOILERS IN WHITE, PLS>

It drives me nuts when there are threads about movies coming out, or ones people look forward to that get a ton of responses...but then the movie comes out and no one talks about what they thought etc.

So the rules for this thread are simple.

Only movies that you saw in the theatre.
Doesn't matter if you waited to see Wild Hogs until it got to the cheap theatres. As long as you went to theatre to see it then it is fine. *sneak previews, screenings, etc are fine too.

No DVDs etc.

You can talk about upcoming movies or anything else that hasn't been released yet...trailers, the commercials, the crappy theatre food, the hot chick seated in front of you..etc etc etc.

What I saw this weekend

TRAILERS
All the trailers sucked for these two movies...nothing that really blew me away or got me excited.

<u>Spiderman 3</u>...meh. I'm over this movie series. Would rather just watch HEROES.

<u>The Invisible</u>...blah.

<u>1408?</u>...love John Cuasack and it looked kinda interesting but I figure it will just turn into some gay horror flick.

<u>NEXT</u>...what a gay title.

<u>Disturbia</u>...I'll wait for video though David Morse will probably be good as the psycho.

<u>The Reaping</u>...lame..though I'd love to [censored] Hillary Swank.

<u>Mr. Brooks</u>...I heard this was a cool script and I'm curious to see how Costner plays it..but I [censored] hate Dane Cook.

<u>Oceans 13</u>...I'll see the movie but the trailer was dull.

MOVIES

<u>SHOOTER</u>
So bad. The only thing that saved it is Mark W. being a likeable actor and the fact that he is a sniper and the hot red head. D Glover was lame, the whole plot was stupid, some of the scenes were just laughably bad, and the direction was beyond awful...Michael Bay bad.

I'm having trouble believing the book could be all that good unless they just totally ditched 99% of what happened in it.

What was with Mark Wahlberg walking around in public while the entire world is searching for him...oh put he pulled his cap down...clever.

I think we can now officially say that Antoine Fuqua sucks balls as a director and that "Training Day" was simply a fluke that owed most of its greatness to David Ayer's script and the actors.
Shooter, King Arthur, Replacment Killers, Tears of the Sun,Bait....all bad action flicks with decent actors that could have been good with some solid direction or a director who knew anything about screenwriting.

<u>300</u>
This was pretty [censored] good. I heard a lot of people kind of bad mouthing it as all flash but in my eyes while the story was simplistic--it worked for me...I didnt need a deep backgorund for every single Spartan fighting etc.

It looked amazing and really felt like a graphic novel/painting and was something I hadn't seen before. I thought it was much more enjoyable that Sin City or Gladiator. The theatre I saw it in was packed and everyone seemed to be into it. You know the movie is working when everyone starts clapping when Lena Headey stabs that dude in the senate/forum.

Gerard Butler was quite good and it will be interesting to see what he does as Snake Plisken..though he better lose the accent cuz Plisken is a [censored] American.

I didn't get to see Reign over Me so next week I'm gonna try to see.

NEXT WEEK

The Lookout--its gonna be gooooood.
Reign Over Me
Blades of Glory
Old 03-25-2007, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Official Weekend Movie Thread

Any good trailer websites? besides http://www.apple.com/trailers/

Movies I saw this week, and a few weeks ago:

Zodiac
Best movie of the year so far. This movie makes the audiance solve the case. Throughout the 2.5 hours I was totally switching from one person to the next; he did it, no wait, he did it, etc...

Jack Gyllenhaal is uber cool. Such a little cuite. The plt was great, and I am a plot guy; you can have awful actors, but If the plot is cool its all good. (BTW acting was good). I give this 7.7/10

Breach Political thriller. Cooper is too damn dark in this movie, so I didn't like that. Also, the movie was monotonous, felt like I was going around in circles. Despite these aspects, the movie was okey, and it was well done. I could have used some action though. 6/10

300 Nice on the eyes, not so nice on the brain. I admit I was tiered when watching this b/c I had had a long day and this was the second flick in a row, so I was generally pissed. The visuals, effects, characters, costumes, soundtrack, all very sexy and original. I really liked it. However, I felt that this movie had no ambition, or taught behind the plot. It literally was a movie about a battle, and nothing else develops. Almost as if the movie was made to show off the effects. 6.6/10

Shooter Movie is cheesy at times. Cliche, moments, etc.. Despite this, it had very nice action scenes. Many action movies can't even deliver when it comes to cool action, but this one does. Obviously if you are going w/ the expectations of witnessing great plot/acting/ etc... you will not find it. But if you are looking for a good guy flick, this one will not disappoint IMO. 5.3/10

I try to go to movies alot, and usually watch 2 movies minimum, so next time I go I will give another review. Movie line up looks weak for the next few weeks, so maybe in a month.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:07 PM

300 kind of reminded me of Blackhawk Down strangly enough.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

NEXT WEEK

The Lookout--its gonna be gooooood.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Lookout is good but never reaches the level of great. I really enjoyed Joseph Gordon-Levitt as the lead and the story was interesting but a bit similar to Memento,lead charcter with a memory disability, and the last quarter of the move was only so-so. I am definetly going to check out Brick for more Joseh Gordon Levitt and will be looking out for more projects by Scott Frank (writer/ 1st time director)
Old 03-26-2007, 12:23 AM

i thought zodiac was well acted, but too long for no reason. i would give it like 6/10. i also had to hold a huge piss for the last 40 minutes and was with a girl i don't like which may have somewhat impacted my rating
Old 03-26-2007, 12:28 AM

I thought Reign Over Me had the potential to be great, but I just felt like there was something missing... it wasn't quite there. Also, Sandler's revelation at the end is almost totally ruined his exposition on the dog -- I thought the scene was really solid until that point, but on the whole I thought the movie was solid.

-d
Old 03-26-2007, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

<u>Disturbia</u>...I'll wait for video though David Morse will probably be good as the psycho.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't feel like looking it up...is this actually a Rear Window remake, or are they just ripping it off?
Old 03-26-2007, 01:09 AM

CDS,

I think this thread would be much better off discussion wise if it was spoiler-free. If that was your intention, thats cool but you've already spoiled 300 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2007, 03:24 AM

I just saw The Shooter and thought it rocked on pretty much every level. My one gripe is that the Hot Chick is a horrible actress. I give this flick 3.75 stars out of 4.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i thought Zodiac was well acted, but too long for no reason. i would give it like 6/10. i also had to hold a huge piss for the last 40 minutes and was with a girl i don't like which may have somewhat impacted my rating

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I don't see many movies in the theater, and try to pick and choose them carefully. I was really excited for this going in (ZOMG Fincher's doing a serial killer movie!!!1), and although it was fine, it was a half hour too long, and not a movie you'll remember at all in five years. 6/10 for me as well. No reason at all not to wait for DVD on this one.