75001-100000 5 7.58%
100000-150000 7 10.61%
>150000 12 18.18%
dont care /resutls please 17 25.76%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2007, 10:13 PM

Default Re: *official 2007 red sox thread*

[ QUOTE ]
I know you're joking, but RF in Fenway is very hard to play, and Wily Mo is actually a very competent outfielder in general. He just looks like a buffoon on a select few plays and people never forget it.

At any rate, the A's will take him off your hands for nothing, if you like

[/ QUOTE ]

I can only go by his time with Boston but I cannot agree that WMP is a very competent outfielder . He has a lot of trouble with even routine plays, like the one Friday night. That play was not an aberration, that was the norm for him.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know you're joking, but RF in Fenway is very hard to play, and Wily Mo is actually a very competent outfielder in general. He just looks like a buffoon on a select few plays and people never forget it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can only go by his time with Boston but I cannot agree that WMP is a very competent outfielder . He has a lot of trouble with even routine plays, like the one Friday night. That play was not an aberration, that was the norm for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean, obviously you're wrong.

I don't really know where to go past that.

He's not great, he's below average, but he's pretty fast even though he'll butcher his fair share of plays from a combination of poor skills and poor ball reading.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:40 PM

wtf having him play RF in fenway is just not fair to him. hes NOT A GOOD OF, but because of his speed he can *get by* in CF. im sure picking up the flight of the ball (which apparently is easier in CF) has a lot to do with it also, not just the awkwardness of playing a corner OF position.

i hate that people rag on him, when he has been mishandled by two organizations at this point.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean, obviously you're wrong.

I don't really know where to go past that.

He's not great, he's below average, but he's pretty fast even though he'll butcher his fair share of plays from a combination of poor skills and poor ball reading.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. You say I'm obviously wrong then you agree with me. I highlighted the previous posters statement that WMP was a very competent outfielder and said I couldn't agree with that. I think when you say he is below average and butchers his fair share of balls due to poor skills and poor ball reading, you're saying just what I'm saying.

How about this. Name a worse defensive outfielder for me. No that's too easy. There's 30 teams and each carry at least 4 outfielders, 120 total, so name me 10 worse defensively.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf having him play RF in fenway is just not fair to him. hes NOT A GOOD OF, but because of his speed he can *get by* in CF. im sure picking up the flight of the ball (which apparently is easier in CF) has a lot to do with it also, not just the awkwardness of playing a corner OF position.

i hate that people rag on him, when he has been mishandled by two organizations at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree, he should not be made to play RF in Fenway. But he can only be expected to fill in in short stretches in CF, which is a shame because this kid with enough at bats could become a great slugger.

This team is just not a good fit for WMP. As the Sox picked up Ortiz and made him their DH, this is what should happen with him.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:33 PM

I was just saying the "That play was not an aberration, that was the norm for him." was obviously wrong.

Ten Worse OFers: Barry Bonds, Emil Brown, Jeromy Burnitz, Jack Cust, Adam Dunn, Carlos Lee, Hideki Matsui, Kevin Mench, Manny Ramirez, Preston Wilson.

See, all these guys are alike, but for some reason WMP doesn't play LF like the rest of them. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2007, 02:06 PM

Also, plenty of bad teams use no-hit pure field guys in the OF because they can't find a big bat to fill that hole. Each of these teams would stick WMP in LF in a heartbeat. Huge bat below avg. fielding corner OFs are a huge commodity.

James
Old 05-13-2007, 05:19 PM

Wow what a game today, down 5-0 going into the 9th.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow what a game today, down 5-0 with one out in the 9th and three infielders waiting for an easy popup and nobody on base.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-13-2007, 05:51 PM

Sick sick sick sick sick sick!

Lost my voice in like 30 seconds from screaming.

Have I mentioned how sick that was?