Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Vegas All-Star Weekend Roll Call

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can only take your word for it those that were in Vegas this past weekend. However I'm imagining the 30-40 something white guy is a major player here among our posters.

I'm not some hardcore gangsta rapper and I certainly don't claim to be. I am a hip hop fan and that coupled with my time as a basketball player and a little time I had to do in jail (unfortunately) I think I'm qualified to speak on whether someone is a gang member or not.

It really seems like you guys just see a black guy in baggy jeans with jewelry and assume BINGO there's a thug! Think about it this way. I'm a black athlete making several million dollars to play a kid's game (not to mention there is no way in hell I can make this kind of money doing anything else) now why would I want to mess that up by doing something stupid in Las Vegas on All Star weekend or have one of my boys do something like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea why you would want to mess that up. That said, professional athletes do stupid [censored] all of the time, so your argument is pointless. Sure, it's dumb to mess up a good thing, but SOME PEOPLE [CENSORED] IT UP ANYWAY.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-20-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can only take your word for it those that were in Vegas this past weekend. However I'm imagining the 30-40 something white guy is a major player here among our posters.

I'm not some hardcore gangsta rapper and I certainly don't claim to be. I am a hip hop fan and that coupled with my time as a basketball player and a little time I had to do in jail (unfortunately) I think I'm qualified to speak on whether someone is a gang member or not.

It really seems like you guys just see a black guy in baggy jeans with jewelry and assume BINGO there's a thug! Think about it this way. I'm a black athlete making several million dollars to play a kid's game (not to mention there is no way in hell I can make this kind of money doing anything else) now why would I want to mess that up by doing something stupid in Las Vegas on All Star weekend or have one of my boys do something like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea why you would want to mess that up. That said, professional athletes do stupid [censored] all of the time, so your argument is pointless. Sure, it's dumb to mess up a good thing, but SOME PEOPLE [CENSORED] IT UP ANYWAY.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stephen Jackson is a Dumb@ss no doubt about it. and I apologize to the rest of the forum I heard the news this morning and appartently it was very violent this weekend in Las Vegas. That's just pathetic and a shame. There is diffently an element of hip hop that is dangerously ignorant (that's why they don't have the Source awards anymore lol), but I'd like to point out it's a small minority.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:28 PM

I was there. I liked the NBA crowd.

I lost my ass though so it was depressing. Best part was meeting so many 2p2ers. Shouts out to all I met this weekend.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:11 PM

Letters to the editor showing up in today's Review Journal are echoing the general sentiment expressed here that the crowds were extremely rude and sometimes threatening. Lotsa people hoping the all-star game never returns.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Letters to the editor showing up in today's Review Journal are echoing the general sentiment expressed here that the crowds were extremely rude and sometimes threatening. Lotsa people hoping the all-star game never returns.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does all that mean for the effort to land an NBA franchise?
Old 02-21-2007, 03:02 AM

Oscar and the police are crowing about what a wonderful weekend it was, and how this proves Vegas is ready for an NBA franchise. I think basically they're still hot to trot.

And I don't think having a Vegas NBA team will have anything like the same impact having the all star game here did. You won't have 80,000 all star fans storming the city for every game.

Apparently the airport also fell apart on Monday as people were all trying to get out at once. 3-hour lines waiting to check luggage with Southwest. Too many souvenirs to fit in carry on luggage, I guess. Or maybe it was because you can't take your Glock back in carry on luggage.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:30 AM

If it ever happens, they will have to do something about the traffic in and out of Thomas and Mack, or play somewhere else. The relatively small crowds attending the events there brought strip and airport traffic to a standstill.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:35 AM

Thomas and Mack ain't gonna work for an NBA venue. Replacing that is very high on Oscar's priorities and he claims to have like 4 different people with money all lined up and ready to build Vegas a new arena if they can just get something to put in it.

And yeah, it needs to move so major events there don't stomp traffic around the strip and airport.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:36 AM

I actually think this last weekend was a wakeup call for Vegas and might be a blessing in disguise.

The bottom line is that Vegas is not ready for an influx of people for a major sporting event(s)...traffic, security, police, violence...the usual vibe in Vegas is I flew in from XXX on a quick break from work and I have XXX money to burn and I'm gonna have a great fun/jovial time doing it.

Obviously, that vibe was not present this weekend.

Vegas should stick to being a tourist driven location; its what its good at.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually think this last weekend was a wakeup call for Vegas and might be a blessing in disguise.

The bottom line is that Vegas is not ready for an influx of people for a major sporting event(s)...traffic, security, police, violence...the usual vibe in Vegas is I flew in from XXX on a quick break from work and I have XXX money to burn and I'm gonna have a great fun/jovial time doing it.

Obviously, that vibe was not present this weekend.

Vegas should stick to being a tourist driven location; its what its good at.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally! They should be sure to keep out sports with violent tendencies in particular. For instance: boxing, ultimate fighting, rodeos, etc... ???

I don't understand how 'i came for the weekend' is any different than 'i came to see Tyson chew someones ear off for the weekend.'