Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2007, 01:16 AM

Default Re: I want to learn guitar, help me choose a starter

Electrics are easier to play, which is why you should learn on an acoustic. Your hands will get stronger that way you can play both. Plus you don't need an amp to play one, which makes it more fun for parties and whatnot. Plus your mistakes are easier to hear on an acoustic which will help you get better. I would recommend light gauge acoustic strings though.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:18 AM

http://www.estebanmasterguitar.com/?...FSRQgAodc2Fpqg

obv.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:48 AM

Actually, has anyone played an Esteban? They look and sound great on TV and the price is awesome. I don't know anyone who has played one to verify though.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:18 AM

google musicians friend...you can serch by price, type, etc.
i would start with acoustic, cheaper to start, if you get an electric, you need to by an amp, and other things that will peak your coursity like a loop pedal.

Buy a yamaha....sound good and are decently cheap, and last for a while, buy really light gauge strings.

i spent 600 on mine, to kinda put me in a corner to play it, because i spent so much on it...take some lessons, meet some friends that play....

if you take lessons you can also learn to read sheet music to, which will be a big plus if you decide to stick with it

hope that helps
Old 02-10-2007, 03:41 AM

I used to teach guitar a long time ago. If you want to play hard rock/metal I say just buy the electric. It depends what you're goals are. If your goal is to become a great guitarist then you want to start with classical guitar, move to acoustic and then on to electric. If you just want to play heavy power chords, killer riff patterns and screech out the occasional solo then I see no problem with starting out with an electric. To be honest, the fact that they're easier to play may cause you to stick with it longer. So many people start out on an acoustic and a year later it's sitting in the corner with cobwebs all over it.

Out of the range of guitars you listed I'd choose the epiphone. One of my first ever guitars was an epiphone les paul copy. It was actually a pretty good guitar. Buy a little practice amp. My preferred amp is Fender but go with your budget. It's only a practice amp so the quality isn't that important.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:56 AM

I'm currently learning how to play guitar on a squier and personally I think its the way to go. You're first couple of months are pretty much gonna be finger practice and such so developing your ear on a "good" guitar isn't that important. The set I got was for about $300 for the guitar, a nice cheap amp, chords, tuner and other accessories... I think it depends on how you wanna learn. I'm learning on my own so I'm giving it a lot of time, if I get any good in the next couple months, I'll buy an acoustic for another $300.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
google musicians friend...you can serch by price, type, etc.
i would start with acoustic, cheaper to start, if you get an electric, you need to by an amp, and other things that will peak your coursity like a loop pedal.

Buy a yamaha....sound good and are decently cheap, and last for a while, buy really light gauge strings.

i spent 600 on mine, to kinda put me in a corner to play it, because i spent so much on it...take some lessons, meet some friends that play....

if you take lessons you can also learn to read sheet music to, which will be a big plus if you decide to stick with it

hope that helps

[/ QUOTE ]

i've been playing for 12 years...listen to what this dude says, except that whatever [censored] about a loop pedal, don't get one of those yet
Old 02-10-2007, 06:51 AM

if you're interested in playing metal why the [censored] would people tell you to buy an acoustic?

a lot of metalheads like Ibanez, it's a decent guitar for that kind of thing, entry level. the epiphone is a good one too. skip the squiers.

ibanez are basically designed towards that hard rock / metal mindset. the epiphone isn't but it's still better for it than the strat copies.

just go to a cheapo store and play before you buy. bring a friend who plays if you want. these entry level guitars vary greatly from one to the other, some are good value and others are put together like dog [censored]
Old 02-10-2007, 07:37 AM

Don't get the Ibanez, their low end guitars are total crap. Presumably they have a thinner neck than the others but by the time you're decent enough to care you'll be getting another guitar anyway. That pretty much just leaves the Epiphone. That said, can get a significantly better guitar in the same price range on ebay. Looking into used Carvins and higher end Epiphones would be good. Mid range used Ibanez rgs and Charvels would probably be ok too quality wise, but I wouldn't recommend a tremolo on your first guitar.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to teach guitar a long time ago. If you want to play hard rock/metal I say just buy the electric. It depends what you're goals are. If your goal is to become a great guitarist then you want to start with classical guitar, move to acoustic and then on to electric. If you just want to play heavy power chords, killer riff patterns and screech out the occasional solo then I see no problem with starting out with an electric. To be honest, the fact that they're easier to play may cause you to stick with it longer. So many people start out on an acoustic and a year later it's sitting in the corner with cobwebs all over it.

Out of the range of guitars you listed I'd choose the epiphone. One of my first ever guitars was an epiphone les paul copy. It was actually a pretty good guitar. Buy a little practice amp. My preferred amp is Fender but go with your budget. It's only a practice amp so the quality isn't that important.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all the help guys. I knew you could come through. I kind of like what he's saying here, about starting w/ the electric. I'm not looking to become a rock god and I'm a little old to be starting a band. My goals are basically to be able to sit around play a few of my favorite songs. And I agree about having some success early. Being able to play a couple riffs that I can recognize early would give me some confidence to keep going. I think I will start out w/ the electric and if I feel like I"m going to stick with it, maybe get a cheap acoustic at some point too.
Thanks again folks, sounds like the consensus for what I posted is the epiphone, but I will check into some of the other suggestions too.