Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2007, 07:15 AM

Default Hand values in online games

Hello all, I've been playing online poker ($1/$2 NL) for a year now without any substantial wins or losses. With online poker you see a wide range of players from very loose and aggresive to tight and passive.

I've tried different strategies to see which one would make the most profit according to the books, but apperently because of the wide variety of players in online poker this isn't always your best option. I've seen players call draws when the odds are way off and re-raising all the way to the turn with nothing but AK.

Do I need to find tables with bigger blinds which will give me more skilled opponents who will not make these insane plays or does someone know of a good general strategy for online play? Any comments are appreciated!
Old 08-26-2007, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Hand values in online games

'I've seen players call draws when the odds are way off and re-raising all the way to the turn with nothing but AK.'

A poker players dream. These are the people you want to play against.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:57 AM

Not really when they draw out on you and you don't have a very big bankroll..
Old 08-26-2007, 08:02 AM

The idea that a game can be "too good" is such a common myth that I'm sure it's covered in the FAQ. But if you don't have the bankroll to play $1-2, that's an entirely different problem.

Play lower until you have the bankroll to play $1-2 (roughly $2500-3000 or so). And of course make sure you know you're a winning player at those stakes. If you're not winning, no bankroll will last forever.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:03 AM

You are playing too high for your bankroll then. Generally excepted wisdom is that you should have 20 buy ins for the level you are playing. For yourself this would mean $4000
Old 08-26-2007, 09:41 AM

Playing against more skilled opponents is more difficult not easier, they bet more aggresively, push you around more, keep you off balance more,they will check to induce you to bluff, they will make less mistakes.
Of course playing against poor opponents can be high variance but its higher ev.
But your statement does show a lack of understanding where your profits come from. For instance last month I had a stretch at 200nl (1-2blinds) of 20000 hands where I was breakeven (included a 2400 down swing and some crappy play), but by the time the month finished I was up $9000 at 200nl, +$2700 at 400nl and +$2500 for rakeback.

and I have played probably a bit more than 1.5 million online hands, so i don't lie to myself when i don't win, I admit that when I start to run bad my game can go backward and that I start to make minus ev choices, but I always try to work through it and come out stronger.

This game rewards correct choices

you don't lose when people suck out, you lose when you choose the wrong calls, the wrong bluffs, the wrong checks, the wrong raises, but when people suck out and you got your money in good you win.

good luck at the tables [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2007, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it.. I guess I need to work on my game and choose lower stakes
Old 08-26-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not really when they draw out on you and you don't have a very big bankroll..

[/ QUOTE ]
How safe you are depends on your win rate as well as variance. When someone is playing that badly, your win rate should increase a lot. Often, tackling maniacs is safer than playing ordinary poker, and it saves a lot of time. Someone who will make terrible calls is contributing much more to your win rate than to the variance.

You may not yet appreciate how much variance there is in ordinary poker. If you can't handle the variance of playing someone who will make a huge turn call against the odds, then you probably aren't bankrolled to play against normal oppponents.