Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 01:01 AM

Default hand range oop vs a minraise?

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $19.50
Hero (BB): $59.20
UTG: $51.95
MP: $51.70
CO: $61.20
BTN: $50.40

Preflop: Hero is dealt 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6 Players)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $1.00</font>, MP folds, CO calls $1.00, BTN calls $1.00, SB folds, Hero calls $0.50

So here is my question - I usually treat minraises pf as a limp and call out of the bb with all:
SC's
Suited 1 gappers
Suited 2 gappers
Axs
Kxs
Connected cards
Any two suited broadway

Obv sometimes I flop good and get someones stack, but I often find myself OOP in a slightly bloated pot with no initiative and 5 high. Whats the 2p2 consensus here? Do you guys expand your range getting 594897894640 - 1 odds out of the bb?
Old 08-30-2007, 01:17 AM

Default Re: hand range oop vs a minraise?

[ QUOTE ]
Do you guys expand your range getting 594897894640 - 1 odds out of the bb?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Yea I'd call here too and would with suited aces, unsuited connectors, some other stuff.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:53 AM

I'm just a noob here and only a very marginal winning player at micros yet. From all the Cardrunners videos I've watched and the reading I've done and all the hands I've played I could count on one hand the times I've extracted a stack OOP in a minbet pot with suited connectors or a suited Ace. The lack of initiative hurts too.

This is probably a greater reflection on my lack of hand-reading abilities than on the profitability of these hands. After finding numerous break-even spots like these during Poker Tracker analyses I came to the conclusion that it didn't really matter one way or another if I played these hands as I was only giving up a very small amount of EV.

In summary, I call with the stronger end of my suited range down to about 65s, sometimes stuff like 97s. Unsuited down to about 87 and all suited aces above A7.

Keep in mind this is only over about 100k hands at micros so there's still much to learn and figure out.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:54 AM

This is fine of course.

Edit: Just don't get carried away unless you flop really strong.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:06 AM

I agree with that range if you play well post flop.

In your example, even though we are oop 4way, there is some benefit with our good relative position.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:11 AM

IMO this spot is just preference - call or fold w/e,i could see a legit argument for either one.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:14 AM

For me it sort of depends on the table and the players and stuff but if you do this too much with hands like K9s or QTs you'll find yourself hitting your TP and ending up folding anyway because of poor position or whatever. Add to that the fact that extraction is always difficult in limped pots and you have a pretty good argument for this being a leak
Old 08-30-2007, 09:16 AM

If the players are weak and will stack off when you flop big, it's worth it. If you are unsure of them or whether or not you can get any value, it's probably not worth it. It would be very tough to play a flush OOP with this hand. All things being equal, I'd probably call and only continue with a made hand and just be cautious with a flush. I don't think folding is horrible, though.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:21 AM

I'd always call 53s pf to a mr... you're not even putting in 1/4 of the pot to see the flop, and some people min-raise AA/KK and then happily stack off with it when you flop two pair+. Regardless of villain, I'd call this.

Edit: Hell I could see arguments for calling with 32o here, seriously.

Edit 2: I missed the number of players in the pot, with those odds I'd play ATC, we don't have to win the pot often at all to make up for the extra BB we put in. Like stated earlier, just don't get crazy if you don't flop big. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]