Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which avatar to use...
They both suck get a new one 11 44.00%
South Park 10 40.00%
Eric Molina 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2007, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Cigar Thread

I would be interested in knowing what some good starter cigars would be. The smoke shop around here was only mildly helpful in my quest to become a cigar smoker. It is actually rather intimidating to do into those places without much knowledge, so I thank the OP for making this thread and giving some insight on the terminology.

The cigar shop suggested getting some of the samplers that they had at the time. One was from Macanudo and the other was from Cusano. I smoked these a while ago, so I do not remember all my thoughts on them, but I thought the Cusano's that I had were excellent. I wish I would have remembered exactly what they were.

The real question that I have for all you people that know much more than me, what cigars should I start out with? And after I know some more and appreciate cigars where should I go from there? I think there is a progression in cigars much like scotch. You do not start out with an Islay scotch, but rather a Highland. There has to be something around that in cigars.

I want a good once or twice a week experience without busting the bank. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2007, 12:12 PM

This thread has got me curious about cigars. Whats a quality website to order from that doesn't sell fakes (like guids previously mentioned).

Thanks.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread has got me curious about cigars. Whats a quality website to order from that doesn't sell fakes (like guids previously mentioned).

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Combusted, do you smoke cigars already? If not, I don't think it's wise to start off by ordering Cubans. You have to order them by the box, I believe, which means you'd need to get a humidor, etc. It will be not-insignificant investment, and you should find out if you actually enjoy the hobby first.

I know that doesn't ansewr your question (I've never ordered Cuban cigars online), but it's just my two cents.

-McGee
Old 02-12-2007, 10:40 AM

I recently bought the Adorini brand Santiago humidor from http://www.humidordiscount.com/Humid.../Santiago.html

This is my second humidor, the previous one was from the same shop and relatively smaller model. Both these have been great, for the single exception that the hydrometers aren't very accurate. Other than that, they're perfect, come with a lifetime guarantee and quite affordable.

As for shopping for cigars, I recommend Spanish internet shops. The tobacco tax in Spain is quite nonexistant - meaning you can get very affordable prices on Cubans.

https://www.cigartradingonline.com/default.asp This shop has free worldwide delivery and ridiculously cheap prices. I'd especially recommend trying my alltime favourite, the Trinidad Fundadores (you can get 10x for $130!) which rate as top end Cubans but much cheaper than Cohibas.

I've heard wonderful things said about Onyx Reserve, http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=151 which pack Cigar Afficionado ratings of 90+ but come at a $4/stick, but unfortunately none of the EU shops sell them so I haven't had the chance to try them out. People living in the North America should definitely try them out [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] And pm me if you could arrange me a shipping of a few boxes [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The real question that I have for all you people that know much more than me, what cigars should I start out with? And after I know some more and appreciate cigars where should I go from there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I think the best way to get started with cigars is kind of the same way most of the guys around here started learning more about poker... find an online forum resource that you can trust, and lurk around for a while. My personal favorite is clubstogie.com... also, there's a handful of really good cigar podcasts out there that you can download.

One trap that you see cigar-newbs fall into constantly is the hype or reputation. As with most things, "value" has very little to do with "price", and everyone enjoys different things. I've smoked FANTASTIC cigars that were $2/stick, and I've smoked some complete dogrockets that cost me upwards of $15.

If you're JUST starting out, I'd suggest trying out a handful of the larger manufacturers, so you know you're at least getting a decent-quality product, and just buy single sticks. All different wrappers, all different sizes. You'll learn really quickly that you prefer a Connecticut or a Maduro wrapper, or if you like a Robusto or a Churchill. Once you learn the lingo and what you like, it's pretty easy to branch out from there to some other types of cigars that you're not familiar with.

Don't be intimidated by a B&M tobacconist... they should be there to educate you and to steer you in the right direction. You should be able to tell your tobacconist what you've liked or disliked in the past, and he should be able to point you towards some other pruduct that you might like. Preferably without just pointing you right at the $20/stick garbage.

Also, don't always associate a dark wrapper on a cigar with a very powerful cigar. Don't be afraid to grab that CAO MX2 just because it looks like a deathstick. It's surprisingly gentle. Likewise, don't always assume that a lighter wrapper means it's not going to knock your socks off. Some of the mildest looking cigars will have you swimming before you're done.

Keep trying, experimenting, learning. You'll find some favorites pretty quickly, but don't ever just limit yourself to one brand, one wrapper, one size, etc.

If you're anything like me, you'll jump right into it quickly. You'll start out thinking that you should only smoke mild cigars. Then you'll love a couple of really bold cigars. Then you'll start to appreciate the complexity of some expensive cigars. Then you'll realize that your wallet is empty and you need to find some good budget cigars. By that point your tastes and pallet will have developed to the point where you'll want certain cigar profiles for different times.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A question i had that a canadian friend of mine wasn't able to answer:

Are you able to buy genuine cuban cigars in Canada?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes... but not cheaply.

It's surprising, but the not having the embargo in Canada has actually hurt the real afficianados north of the border. It seems that their local shops will ONLY carry Cubans, because that's what 90% of the people in their shop want. They're just casual cigar smokers, and assume that cubans are the best, so that's all the shop will carry.

If you ask me, cubans aren't any better or worse than stuff that comes out of the Dominican, Nicaraugua, Ecuador, even some Costa Rican stuff... they're certainly different, but not really better. They've got a very unique taste profile that I can understand certain people enjoy, but why limit yourself to just one type of cigar when there's so many other great ones out there?

Add to that all the taxes, fakes, etc... I'm actually kinda happy that in the US we've been "forced" to enjoy so many other types of cigars.

Most of the cubans I've smoked I'd rank between 6/10 and 8/10... certainly above-average. But I've had some AWESOME smokes from other places (in fact, most of those are blends from two or three different countries).

Again, most of the mystique around cubans is that forbidden fruit thing... A casual smoker who smokes just one or two cigars per year is just caught up in the hype of them. Their reputation FAR out-reaches the actual level of their cigars.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:30 PM

These last two posts are both great and right-on. Agree about diversity being a good thing -- it frustrates me not to be able to find Dominicans in Europe.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're JUST starting out, I'd suggest trying out a handful of the larger manufacturers, so you know you're at least getting a decent-quality product, and just buy single sticks. All different wrappers, all different sizes. You'll learn really quickly that you prefer a Connecticut or a Maduro wrapper, or if you like a Robusto or a Churchill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the great response!

I have always been curious what the difference is between the different sizes. Obviously, the longer cigars will smoke longer, but is there a taste difference or anything else?
Old 02-12-2007, 04:11 PM

It's generally understood that the larger sizes have more complex flavors, though this isn't always true. Often you'll find that the draw and burn are significantly different from one size to the next, as well.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:13 PM

Question for those others of you who live in cold places with smoking bans: where do you smoke in the winter?

I haven't had a cigar since well before Christmas, as DC passed a smoking ban on January 2. (It was already hard enough to find a place that didn't mind you smoking a cigar.) It's 43 right now -- warmest it's been in three weeks, probably -- and I'm considering just sucking it up and sitting on the porch. I rent and can't smoke indoors.

Suggestions?