Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

a 4 bet there doesnt mean aa/kk. it could be a pure steal, ak, aa kk qq jj tt etc. so while he could have tt or 88, is he check raising with those? this is why i said folding has to be CONSIDERED. i never stated the play i believe is correct here. if he leads into you you also have a tough decision, a decision in which spr should not the the primary factor

[/ QUOTE ]

if he leads, SPR wouldn't be the primary factor, because you haven't decided to commit yet. with KK there, things such as: a) an A on the flop or b) a solid opponent making a strong lead, would certainly justify deciding not to commit, despite having created an ideal SPR situation preflop.

but once you bet, or raise, or even call a big bet on this flop, putting in > 30% of your stack, you're never going to fold. you've created an ideal SPR situation preflop, decided the flop and action dictated committing, and committed yourself with a big bet. you're not folding now.

[/ QUOTE ]

this thinking will just cost you money
Old 08-02-2007, 07:27 PM

isnt that what poker was always about? to play against bad players? to seek out the best games? what has happened to those ideals? i could care less about playing against other good players or even great players. all i want is the bad players.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:36 PM

id like to be able to beat both
Old 08-02-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

but once you bet, or raise, or even call a big bet on this flop, putting in > 30% of your stack, you're never going to fold. you've created an ideal SPR situation preflop, decided the flop and action dictated committing, and committed yourself with a big bet. you're not folding now.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this reply makes it clear you're just trolling here. not sure why you would choose this thread to troll, but whatever.

moving along...
Old 08-02-2007, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this reply makes it clear you're just trolling here. not sure why you would choose this thread to troll, but whatever.

moving along...

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, if you keep thinking omg I put 60% of my stack I have an overpair I have to call then you are missing the point.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:13 PM

Matt I have a question about SPR for you. You are advocating to play suited connectors,gappers you need a SPR of 10 and up. In your chart on page 216 you have that in a 100bb game which most games are, you should fold getting 4 calllers on the button for a 7bb raise because the SPR is 2.7???
So in a regular live 1/2 donkfest with 100bb effective stacks you fold 87sooted to a 14 dollar raise? Please explain as this just seems wrong.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Seriously, if you keep thinking omg I put 60% of my stack I have an overpair I have to call then you are missing the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

if i put 60% of my stack in w/ an overpair, it was because i *wanted* to call and *planned* to call if i got raised all-in.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and when u have no outs(2), how much you have invested isnt as important as your equity v villians likely range aside from calculating odds on your call

[/ QUOTE ]Well, right- the odds on your call is exactly why that fact that you've put half your stack in is important. Any time you've put half your effective stack in the pot you are getting 3:1 on your money, which means villain's range has to be VERY tight for this to be a fold (as in, he never plays QQ or anything worse like this).

Text results appended to pokerstove.txt

130,680 games 0.010 secs 13,068,000 games/sec

Board: Ts 8d 3h
Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 32.741% 30.47% 02.27% 39816 2970.00 { KK }
Hand 1: 67.259% 64.99% 02.27% 84924 2970.00 { QQ+, TT, 88, 33 }

I haven't read the book yet (still eagerly awaiting), but this point seems pretty clear to me.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:40 PM

I have a question about 'Sup Bro'. In the first orbit examples at the end of the book the muscle-bound 20-something with a pink shirt and popped collar, is this a reference to the legendary 2+2 poster who was an all-county linebacker in H.S. and had 17 tackles for losses?
Old 08-03-2007, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Matt I have a question about SPR for you. You are advocating to play suited connectors,gappers you need a SPR of 10 and up. In your chart on page 216 you have that in a 100bb game which most games are, you should fold getting 4 calllers on the button for a 7bb raise because the SPR is 2.7???
So in a regular live 1/2 donkfest with 100bb effective stacks you fold 87sooted to a 14 dollar raise? Please explain as this just seems wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

From playing in these kinds of 1/2 games, I've realized at the 100BB level that hands like these have very little fold equity, so flopping draws usually equates to racing with whoever flopped top pair.