Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 01:22 AM

Default Re: October [censored] thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
anyone have thoughts on china digital tv holdings? (stv)

[/ QUOTE ]

i bought a little of it after posting this at like 35 and today it openned at almost 50 and hit 55 before coming back down to low 50s.

To clarify, I am in the same boat as NLsoldier, I have a managed portfolio and I just have a couple grand that I a "gambling" with in the stock market while learning(I was a finance major so I use "learning" loosely).

anyone have thoughts now?

im pretty much a complete noob and have no idea if this is the type of thing i should hold onto or jump ship now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought this stock last friday after reading about it in the Mercury News at $29.23. It did a massive jump up to 51 and kinda flattened out. I got out fairly quick and I am quite happy with how that went.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:29 AM

Weee, theres a new section in the commerce games competition this year. Finance quiz, which is basically your knowledge of the Canadian and US market. Considering I destroyed everyone on cnbc MBA challenge (albeit from home) if I dont make the team im gonna be pissed.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:55 AM

Guys, im going over Toronto dominions (TD) quarterly report and im trying to determine how much of their revenue is geenrated through investment banking services. Their competitors have a section clearly labeled and separated on their reports but TD doesnt. Which of these would you assume I-banking revenue falls under?

Wholesale banking or corporate banking? Also in another version of the income statement there is a line called "investment and securities services." could that be it>
Old 10-12-2007, 11:29 AM

It's investment and securities services, imo.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:49 AM

Ah, I found it in the supplemental to the quarterly, apparently they refer to it as wholesale banking though I dont know why.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Weee, theres a new section in the commerce games competition this year. Finance quiz, which is basically your knowledge of the Canadian and US market. Considering I destroyed everyone on cnbc MBA challenge (albeit from home) if I dont make the team im gonna be pissed.

[/ QUOTE ]
And you were about to make fun of my brother for wearing a Capcom shirt?
Old 10-12-2007, 03:47 PM

All,

I just applied for two investment jobs. I will post TR and cover letter if I feel they are worthy.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:18 PM

I just got off the phone with visa. Despite having 80k sitting in a checking account (its about to be moved) from poker, they refuse to give me a credit card limit increase beyond 500$ to $2500.

For those who trade for a living on their own account and dont pay income taxes, but only capital gains taxes, what do you say your proffesion is? Self employed? I doubt you need to set up a company as cap gains are already taxed lower than most tax rates, so what do you do?
Old 10-12-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For those who trade for a living on their own account and dont pay income taxes, but only capital gains taxes, what do you say your proffesion is? Self employed? I doubt you need to set up a company as cap gains are already taxed lower than most tax rates, so what do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]
J,

Are you asking US citizens? If so, I think you're confused here.

Assuming that we're trading on a non-retirement account, we have to pay taxes. Short-term is same as your income tax bracket. Long-term as 15%. Those who have no income but only capital gains will be probably taxed via AMT.

Now let say you earn 90k in capital gains and only in 10k in your regular job, your tax bracket is actually 100k. The IRS will tax you via the AMT method and get its moneys.

PS. I might miss a small detail here or there but I think I painted a pretty good big picture [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2007, 06:35 PM

ah, ok. I didnt realize they treated trading earnings are regular income, I thought it fell under cap gains. I realized there was a difference between st. term and long term cap gains but I thought it was based on fixed rates, no short term = your regular tax bracket. That makes sense
Closed Thread