Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 01:03 AM

Default smart or retarded float attempt?

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $11.00
Hero (BB): $64.50
UTG: $42.75
MP: $42.70
CO: $35.75
BTN: $143.85

Preflop: Hero is dealt 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG folds, MP calls $0.50, 3 folds, Hero checks

Flop: ($1.25) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP bets $1.00</font>, Hero calls $1.00

Turn: ($3.25) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP bets $2.00</font>, Hero calls $2.00

River: ($7.25) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP bets $6.50</font>, Hero calls $6.50

Pot Size: $20.25 ($1 Rake)

Im curious to what everyone thinks here because obviously from the title you can guess I won the pot but i thought alot about it afterwards and didnt know if I got lucky or what. Basically my question is if I plan on floating someone should I have always raised the turn here to rep something? I think maybe I was just playing scared since the board was kinda intimidating. On the river I was pretty sure I was good suprisingly. I didnt think villain ever had a K.

My line of thinking was if he had a K or any decent hand here he would bet the flop harder to protect it. I think my turn check call might have been dumb especially but I wasnt completly sure yet I guess. Once the river came I figured already he didnt have a K and any type of hand ( a Q or flush) other then a boat or air isnt betting that river since usually your only getting called if your beat. He was the type of player that limps into damn near every pot and makes weak cont bets constantly.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:17 AM

Default Re: smart or retarded float attempt?

I think this is spew. Floating flop is risky because people tend to play high cards, but ok. Turn and river are bad. The flush/trips/boat came in, but he doesn't seem to care. He could any decent K or Q or flush, 44, 88,99, etc. I think if you want to stay in this pot, you gotta raise that turn. It's raise or fold there. Pretty big bet on the river and yet you call...why? Even if you think you have the best hand, is this the most profitable situation you can find? I think 90% of the time you've been taken to value town.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:19 AM

Why not just raise preflop and then c-bet if you're called? Makes the hand much easier to play and you won't lose a crapload of money when you're wrong in this situation. I wouldn't get in the habit of doing this.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:19 AM

ew
Old 08-03-2007, 01:22 AM

Raise over his limp; 77 is a strong hand HU.

This whole hand is a spew. I need a very good reason to call down 3 streets with 3rd pair. Apparently, him betting every street means he has air, and he should check behind with a flush. If this is how you read hands then you're going to lose your roll very quickly. There's very little value in even calling this flop bet.

BTW this isn't a float. A float means to call a flop c-bet in a raised pot with the intention of taking it away later on in the hand (usually with a next to nothing hand).
Old 08-03-2007, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not just raise preflop and then c-bet if you're called?

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 08-03-2007, 01:36 AM

as played fold on flop
Old 08-03-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise over his limp; 77 is a strong hand HU.

This whole hand is a spew. I need a very good reason to call down 3 streets with 3rd pair. Apparently, him betting every street means he has air, and he should check behind with a flush. If this is how you read hands then you're going to lose your roll very quickly. There's very little value in even calling this flop bet.

BTW this isn't a float. A float means to call a flop c-bet in a raised pot with the intention of taking it away later on in the hand (usually with a next to nothing hand).

[/ QUOTE ]

why i said float attempt, like i said i played the turn scared and once again he was the type of player that bet into any pot and limped every hand. I knew he wasnt value betting anything but a boat on that river and i wasnt putting this guy on a 4 or a K. I agree with u all im sure its spew and i got lucky, i suck at cash and have been getting more into it, working on certain things. And as far as raising preflop heads up, depends on the player i think, OOP i dont think i should raise 77 for value against someone who i know is gonna limp/call and see a flop.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:41 AM

I would insta fold the flop. If I thought there was a risk villain would 3barrel his ATC I would fold this even faster. Unless you have a read specifically that his flop bet means he flopped nothing, no pair and no draw I like this line.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:35 AM

Every street seemed pretty bad, long run you will lose $$$. Unless of course you've got some kind of super-human player reading skill... If so, RUN, don't walk, to $200/$400NL