Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 08:56 PM

Default Re: i made a move good play?

Understandable kenny, but you contradicted yourself. You said that he can hang around a few more orbits and try to wait for a good hand, 'but that isnt coming' or something like that. If he is able to fold to a reraise/shove, how will he possibly have enough chips now that he's lost 1/4th of his stack? I think a complete is a much better play if you choose to play this. Any king or ace has you preflop and most likely with then have you postflop unless you hit/draw to a flush or hit a queen. Just such a dangerous hand to play OOP unless you hit hard.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Understandable kenny, but you contradicted yourself. You said that he can hang around a few more orbits and try to wait for a good hand, 'but that isnt coming' or something like that. If he is able to fold to a reraise/shove, how will he possibly have enough chips now that he's lost 1/4th of his stack? I think a complete is a much better play if you choose to play this. Any king or ace has you preflop and most likely with then have you postflop unless you hit/draw to a flush or hit a queen. Just such a dangerous hand to play OOP unless you hit hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not raising based on the strength of his hand.

UTG can be limping 22-77, 9Ts, JQs, etc and if MP2 held anything capable of calling hero's extremely-strong-looking raise he'd be raising himself to isolate UTG.

The idea is that it looks so strong it's going to be taken down PF, and if called hero still gets to see the flop.

Also nobody's restealing at this point except possibly BB.

This is referred to as "punishing limpers", "playing poker", "making a move"...

In addition, OP can give up on the flop and be in much the same position as he is now. OP can afford to make moves at this point (and absolutely should be).
Old 10-24-2007, 09:10 PM

I like it to a point....the biggest problem is that in real life good poker you are forcing the MP2 to reraise or fold...some really bad players will actually call here and that is the worst possible outcome...UTG is obviously irrelevant...what is our plan for the flop if MP2 flats?
Old 10-24-2007, 09:15 PM

i was an above avg stack at this point itm. i just think occasionally you have to beat people without cards to win. the cards break even in long run so i saw this as a rare "steal spot". unfortunately both guys called the flop came 77q. i shoved i got called by mp guy who showed the all powefull q10off. oh well. oh yeah then he called my all in 3 hands later (6bb) w kjo and sent me packing. my nuts hurt.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:21 PM

Read dependant but I like it. I like it more if you had the puck. I like it even more if your stack was double it's size. Punish the limpers.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i was an above avg stack at this point itm. i just think occasionally you have to beat people without cards to win. the cards break even in long run so i saw this as a rare "steal spot". unfortunately both guys called the flop came 77q. i shoved i got called by mp guy who showed the all powefull q10off. oh well. oh yeah then he called my all in 3 hands later (6bb) w kjo and sent me packing. my nuts hurt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea,not surprised mp called actually,thats why I eluded to it in my first post.Another poster,ssnyc I think mentioned it as well,obv this is not a calling spot,its fold or push,but bad players do stupid stuff......oh,I'm not surprised he called bc since you posted this,that's what I figured happened,but ya,so bad....

I still stand by my original thought,I think the move is good,and there's no contradiction either. I mean,if you get repopped,fold and then are lowstacked and no good hands coming...ok,you lose but at least you tried to make something happen.That was kinda the point of my post anyway.

QT huh? How sad is it that I'm not even surprised villain played that way....
Old 10-25-2007, 02:46 AM

you need a really solid read here to make this move. your key question is whether your opponents are "good enough" to fold here with weak holdings but bad enough to not see what you are doing.

while i typically detest the nits here who are scared to make a move with more than 10 BBs, I think they are probably right here in that you can wait for a better spot. These players are so bad that making moves like this just spews chips. Moves like this are best when you are at tight tables with decent/so-so players. Not bozos like these guys
Old 10-25-2007, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you need a really solid read here to make this move. your key question is whether your opponents are "good enough" to fold here with weak holdings but bad enough to not see what you are doing.

while i typically detest the nits here who are scared to make a move with more than 10 BBs, I think they are probably right here in that you can wait for a better spot. These players are so bad that making moves like this just spews chips. Moves like this are best when you are at tight tables with decent/so-so players. Not bozos like these guys

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you i think you gave the best analysis. i rarely if ever make these moves in these donkaments thats why i posted it to see if anyone out there DOES make this play and what results do they get.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:36 PM

make it a solid 10k. they'll fold to a 5 figure bet, but might be inclined to call 9600.

good move as long as you know UTG isnt being an ass with aces. sometimes i even shove here, though i prefer to be in the BB with this kind of deal.