Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Re: The EDF Laundry Thread

wash-and-fold for the win!
Old 10-09-2007, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ][*]Dress shirts -- For really good ones just get them dry cleaned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you are getting your shirts laundered, not dry-cleaned, right? Other than for silk shirts (you balla, you!), regular laundry should be fine and costs about 20% of getting a shirt dry-cleaned. I mainly get shirts laundered for the pressing more than for any extra-special cleaning.

[ QUOTE ][*]Silk -- I could use some advice on this; I have a white silk tie that needs cleaning, and I'm afraid to do anything to it. Should I take it to the cleaners? I hate silk for the most part, both because it's cheesy and outdated, and because it's hard to clean. But this tie is badass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck with the tie. A very good cleaner can probably do an OK cleaning job, but it's apparently very hard to do without permanent problems (uneven shrinkage vs. the lining, puckering, etc.). See if they can just clean the spots (assuming that's the issue) instead of the entire tie.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:04 PM

PJ,

As far as silk ties are concerned, whenever you take them to get dry cleaned, they press them too, and ruin the nice roll on the edges. i'm very curious what the best thing to do is, i've always assumed their ruined if they get stained. but don't take it to some random dry-cleaner. it will come back flat.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I never dry any of my jeans or t-shirts. I'm tall enough that I'm deathly afraid of any shrinkage of any of my favorite clothes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shrinking shirts are awful because I'm 6'3 with long arms and a long sleeve shirt is basically good for two wears until I have to start pushing the sleeves up to my elbow because they don't come to my wrist anymore.

How much space do you guys have to air-dry stuff? I can't imagine hanging all of my clothes up to dry.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:13 AM

Detergent -- I wear rather expensive T-Shirts that I like to preserve as long as possible. I find that baking soda based detergents such as Arm&Hammer, while not quite as an effective cleaner, are far less damaging on most fabrics.

I would recommend trying this on lightly soiled clothing that you feel may be more sensitive to wear and tear.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wash-and-fold for the win!

[/ QUOTE ]

I lived in a big city for a couple months recently and had a wash and fold around the corner that charged 60 cents a pound. Having my weeks worth of laundry washed and folded for like 7 bucks was AWESOME. The one closest to my house now charges like $1.50/lb. boooo.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:26 AM

in high school, my AP Chem class went on a field trip to BASF. the most fascinating part of the trip was the "lab" area that had to do with laundry related testing. i learned:

1 - you really only need to use half the recommended "dosage" of detergent, as the recommendation is based on how much they can get you to use per load without leaving residue. remember, they're in the detergent selling business.

2 - tide is head shoulders above everything else.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:50 AM

for my first 3 years of college, i gave my clothes to my mom. i just did my first load ever last week, but so far have only done whites, mostly socks and undershirts.

someone teach me how to not shrink polos

also, does anyone iron polos or t-shirts?
Old 10-10-2007, 03:39 AM

I know this has been posted before in OOT but this seems like the right thread for a repost.

How to quickly fold shirts:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Six_ExHUI...ed&search=
Old 10-10-2007, 05:44 AM

This thread is gay.