Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 11-02-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Screen Writers Guild Strike?

It's set to begin at 1:30 PT according to their web page. Thoughts on how this will fare?
Old 11-02-2007, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Screen Writers Guild Strike?

the only thing it will affect is Late Night programming like Leno and Letterman, as those shows rely on topical humor.

Most film and TV will not be affected, as studios have been aware of this possibility for awhile now and have stockpiled shows/scripts.

It would affect certain productions that are in no man's land - still being written, etc.

I used to be a member of the Writer's Guild and I think we threatened striking numerous times, although it never happened. I wasn't a member during the last strike.

I think one of the main bones of contention is the writers want residuals from online/computer airings of things they've written, as the last contract did not take into account the internet.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most film and TV will not be affected

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I suspected the studios would have stuff in the can. New shows may suffer (e.g. Flight of the Conchords [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]).

[ QUOTE ]
one of the main bones of contention is the writers want residuals

[/ QUOTE ]

Heard an interview on NPR on this subject. Do SAG members get residuals for alternate formats?
Old 11-02-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Most film and TV will not be affected

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I suspected the studios would have stuff in the can. New shows may suffer (e.g. Flight of the Conchords [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]).

[ QUOTE ]
one of the main bones of contention is the writers want residuals

[/ QUOTE ]

Heard an interview on NPR on this subject. Do SAG members get residuals for alternate formats?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about stupid actors and their contracts. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2007, 04:26 PM

T minus 4 minutes... gogogo
Old 11-02-2007, 05:21 PM

Apparently, it is a huge issue, because I started hearing about it 6 months ago. And the word back then was they were doubtlessly striking.

Actually, this has been in the working for two years. Essentially, writer's in Hollywood are getting screwed out of money, thanks to every cheapening venture that the studios can think of: reality shows has been a huge revenue loss for writers and actors. Don't misunderstand, reality shows ARE scripted, but they are pre-shot long before they actually go on the air. I think that the studios are afraid of what U-tube and other sites of this sort are going to become. Too bad they don't follow in the Music Industries footsteps.

Here are some articles to look up with an excerpt:

Q. Forget everything else: What’s the one issue everyone needs to resolve here?

A. New media and the Internet. At the start of last Friday’s negotiations, WGA lead negotiator David Young boiled it down to this: “For a few decades now, there has been a growing feeling among writers that they are slowly being left behind. Every new technology or genre, instead of being treated as a new opportunity for mutual growth and benefit, is presented to us as some unfathomable obstacle that requires flexibility from writers — meaning a cheap deal that remains in place. This happened with home video. It happened with basic cable. It has happened with reality TV. Now you want it to happen with new media and the Internet.”

The producers want a coupla years to determine what new media’s big revenues might be, but offer to make any deal retroactive. AMPTP’s newest solution is to base new-media payments on what individual writers can negotiate with the studios and networks — presumably through their agents — all without any interference from the WGA.

Q. How will the strike affect TV viewers and moviegoers?

A. There’ll be a steady supply of films, because the Hollywood studios began preparing for this strike two years ago. As for TV, late-night talk shows will seem lamer than usual. Most scripted primetime series have at least eight to 12 completed episodes in the can. Some of the networks early on went into production on strike programming masquerading as midseason replacements (like ABC’s Cashmere Mafia ). NBC’s strike strategy was to stockpile episodes of familiar shows like The Office , My Name Is Earl , and Heroes . No wonder Fox is a strike hawk: It can’t wait for its walkout-unaffected blockbuster American Idol to return in January. Expect the other nets to put up crappy reality and game shows, news specials, old inventory and European programs.

http://www.laweekly.com/news/deadlin...e-happy/17550/

http://www.laweekly.com/news/news/wg...t-enemy/17549/

http://www.laweekly.com/news/deadlin.../17603/?page=2
Old 11-02-2007, 06:35 PM

No more Saturday Night Live after this week

Most shows have Nov/Jan episodes in the can and then no more after that.

So LOST and 24 could be hit hard depending on how far they got along. Heroes Origins has already been canceled.

99% of what you see on TV in Feb and on will be reruns/reality tv.

And this strike will probably be long unless the AMPTP does an about face. If it gets to Feb then forget about it...at that point the WGA will just hold down till June so they can strike together with SAG.

best two sites to read up on it are

http://artfulwriter.com/
and
http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/
Old 11-02-2007, 10:00 PM

How does this effect people that are both writers and actors. I know a few of The Office actors also write scripts for it. Do they just stop writing and keep acting? Seems like a bit of a weird situation.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How does this effect people that are both writers and actors. I know a few of The Office actors also write scripts for it. Do they just stop writing and keep acting? Seems like a bit of a weird situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

The show stops once they are out of scripts.
You can't have a show if there are no writers/scripts. also most of the TV showrunners have said they are striking so that is major because a showrunner does way way more than simply write episodes.

Its a big deal esp if this is a long strike which many predict it will be.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The show stops once they are out of scripts.
You can't have a show if there are no writers/scripts. also most of the TV showrunners have said they are striking so that is major because a showrunner does way way more than simply write episodes.

Its a big deal esp if this is a long strike which many predict it will be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but my understanding was that at this moment in time most network shows have scripts stockpiled.