Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Absolute Poker Scandal: An Inside Job

[ QUOTE ]
OK we found out who the cheater is.

What do we do now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 10-16-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK we found out who the cheater is.

What do we do now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 10-16-2007, 08:15 PM

Philip Tom, aka the chairman
http://www.pokerpages.com/players/pr...philip-tom.htm

Also, a number of tournament results pages mention Scott Tom's home town as Missoula, MT. Perhaps where his frat was?
i.e. http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/play...=r&n=53543

Just adding to the noise.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:19 PM

Here is another important tidbit, and it appears to explains Scott's motivation to do this.

Apparently AP did not really buy UB. Well, in a way it did, but not the way most of you are thinking.

Russ Hamilton, 1994 Main Event winner and former UB owner, quietly bought AP awhile back. This was after he took UB public, but before the October, 2006 UIGEA.

Sometime after the UIGEA (I forget when), AP bought UB. However, it was actually Hamilton (current owner of AP) buying back his original company.

Why does all of this matter? It appears that, while Scott Tom may continue to have some sort of AP association, he hasn't owned the site for quite some time.

He probably lived a bit too large out in Costa Rica (it's easy to imagine from the guy's picture), and now is in need of money. Being one of AP's founders, he had access to the superuser account, which he realized had not been disabled yet. Thus, his money problems could easily become a thing of the past in a few short weeks.

This answers why a supposedly filthy-rich AP CEO would perpetrate a scam for ~1 million dollars. It's because he probably isn't the AP CEO anymore, and he's no longer filthy rich.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:19 PM

so for anyone that wants to play detective.

as posted above, the poster from therxforum posting as puremoney is outed as iamkidpoker from doc's place.

doc's place is apparently theoffshoreedge forum. iamkidpoker posts there and organizes a weekly private poker tournament for the forum regulars that is played on absolute.

here are his posts you have to click on the cached versions. if you add more search criteria, make sure you click on google's "repeat the search with the omitted results included."

another forum he posts on is thefellasforum as kidpoker. here are his posts . he posted some poker articles on the forum's portal at gamblersunderground.com. poker articles

i read through a few posts and in one he talks about being paid as a mod at one of the forums. i can't see the owner of absolute caring about being paid or bothering to mod a forum (relative of scott tom? nephew?). he even comes off as young/childish in some posts.

don't know how it all connects, but seems to be a lot of coincidences.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:21 PM

Now there's a plausible Dan Druff post [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2007, 08:22 PM

'morning folks. just got up here in Australia. obviously i missed some exciting news last night...

1) I have another XLS spreadsheet from another Absolute tournament. It also shows all the hole cards of table observers. However, since it is only a relatively insignificant tournament, there's only one observer in this format:

Table 2 Leave - XXXXXXX@LOUISVILLE.EDU(1xxxxxx) [xx.xxx.xxx.251:1177]

It's worth noting:
a) the email address

b) the user number is just over 1million

c) the ip address and port is recorded

2) re: AbsolutePokerCheats.com

When the scandal first broke, it peaked at around 500 hits/day, before settling down at about 50. This second scandal has sent 1,000 hits on the 15th, and 4,000 hits on the 16th.

So, there are certainly people out there reading this stuff and learning about Absolute's cheating habits.

I'm also obviously not particularly good at designing websites, so if there's a volunteer (or two) who can make a better version, I'm happy to point the domain wherever needed.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:33 PM

guys i thought i would make a account to share some other facts from the past 2 years i'v seen sief play on AP.... anyone with pokertracker that could check on the screen name "riptor" and "jakz101poker" i remember a id "jeff1515" Dumping $60,000 in chips to jakz101poker last year in a very strage headsup where mark sief was at the table but was sitting out.....i found this very very strange and thought that maybe mark was sitting out so "jeff1515" could lose these $60,000 in chips to "jakz101poker" and to think back "jakz101poker" has played many many times on high stakes limit on ap with "ez2ply" and some kid called " kidnabraska" i havn't seen any of these players since this story broke
Old 10-16-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, why has Mark been so quiet about this whole thing? He hasn't made one post or public statement clearing AP or even his own name. I'd love to see him involved here.

[/ QUOTE ]
He pasted the AP reply.

http://www.bluffmagazine.com/blog/bl...0&bcatid=4

[/ QUOTE ]

Guys,

Why the hell are we trying to keep Seif out of this? I know we don't want to dilute the real evidence, but there is much wilder speculation going on than that about Seif.

Given that he posted Absolute's ridiculous statement above, I think it would be absurd to count him out.

And we know that the kid who thought he got cheated a couple years ago is a legit player who wasn't making it up at the time. Ike, how do you figure his retraction is evidence AGAINST the cheating?? Seems more likely the opposite, IMO.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so for anyone that wants to play detective.

as posted above, the poster from therxforum posting as puremoney is outed as iamkidpoker from doc's place.

doc's place is apparently theoffshoreedge forum. iamkidpoker posts there and organizes a weekly private poker tournament for the forum regulars that is played on absolute.

here are his posts you have to click on the cached versions. if you add more search criteria, make sure you click on google's "repeat the search with the omitted results included."

another forum he posts on is thefellasforum as kidpoker. here are his posts . he posted some poker articles on the forum's portal at gamblersunderground.com. poker articles

i read through a few posts and in one he talks about being paid as a mod at one of the forums. i can't see the owner of absolute caring about being paid or bothering to mod a forum (relative of scott tom? nephew?). he even comes off as young/childish in some posts.

don't know how it all connects, but seems to be a lot of coincidences.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was the one who found all this, and AaronBeen and I both agree that while it's a huge [censored] coincidence.

It's really nothing more than that.

The posts on those forum are simply not at all like other Scott posts, and he has over 2100 posts on just one forum alone as a respected sportsbetting poster.

That being said, we have the phone numbers of former AP interns who allegedly lived with the Tom's in Costa Rica during the summer of '06 -- and who we do not believe still work for AP and may be willing to share whatever information they might have.

And great job Dan.
Closed Thread