Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 11:54 PM

Default Re: Thinking of getting a kitten.

Declawing is illegal in lots of western countries, and there is a reason for that. Dont declaw your cat, get a scrathpole or something.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-It turns into a cat.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as getting it declawed, don't. For one it's super painful, it's actually amputation. Also the cat won't have any way to defend itself when it escapes from your house. I know they're not supposed to get out but the little [censored] always find a way every few months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes. I've been around cats for 25 years and not once has one of them escaped the confines of either the house or the backyard.

I am firmly in the declaw camp, simply because my cats don't ever leave the house, and it's a huge pain getting everything scratched regularly. Cats really do not need their front claws unless they are fighting other cats, and the pain issue isn't as big a deal as people say (cats have a super high pain tolerance and get medicated for the treatment).

Recently I adopted an abandoned kitten (about 2 days old), and bottle fed it with my g/f for about the past 6 weeks. It is cute and definitely was worth the effort. Kittens/cats are great if you get them in pairs and give them a lot of attention when they're young. Cats are actually a big reflection upon their owners, much like children.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Cats really do not need their front claws unless they are fighting other cats, and the pain issue isn't as big a deal as people say (cats have a super high pain tolerance and get medicated for the treatment).

[/ QUOTE ]

If its not a big deal I wonder why its illegal in most European countries, as it violates the laws on cruelty against animals. There is probably a reason why most European vets will object to declaw a cat, calling it "cruel".
Old 10-04-2007, 12:21 AM

The pain issue isn't a huge deal for the reasons listed above. I've never seen a cat suffer any sort of long term trauma from the procedure, and I've had roughly 10 cats over my lifetime.

Like I said, my cats never interact with other cats, so they really have no need for their front claws. I would imagine that in Europe there are far more cats with outdoor exposure who need full use of their claws. Personally I feel like not neutering/spaying a cat, as well as letting it roam free outside, is far more unethical than declawing it.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I go to school so I won't be able to spend too much time with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a common misconception that cats are more solitary animals. They are not, they are just solitary hunters. They don't mind when you leave that much because they just assume you are out hunting food. But, they are social animals. If you are going to be gone for long periods it's better to get two. It's better for their mental health.

Also, don't declaw. Cats can have many problems with declawing. You can buy a cheap claw trimmer that will take off the points, which helps with the scratching. Having things around for them to scratch really helps. Rub the posts wiht catnip which will attract them to it.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:24 AM

if you take the time to train cats not to scratch your stuff when they are young, it won't be a problem. way better than declawing.

or you can just do what i do and not have nice stuff.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
as well as letting it roam free outside, is far more unethical than declawing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it unethical to let a cat roam free outside?
Old 10-04-2007, 12:34 AM

Don't declaw. Dogs are great, but cats are special, especially when you raise them from kittens. You'll have an eccentric friend for 15+ years.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
as well as letting it roam free outside, is far more unethical than declawing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it unethical to let a cat roam free outside?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a profound question. Our outdoor cat only lived 5 years, but he was born to run. He led a full life. Of our 2 indoor cats, one lived to 10, and the other is still chugging at 13.

If I had to do it over, I wouldn't try to keep the outdoor cat inside. But they live a lot longer if you keep them indoors.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's a profound question. Our outdoor cat only lived 5 years, but he was born to run. He led a full life. Of our 2 indoor cats, one lived to 10, and the other is still chugging at 13.

If I had to do it over, I wouldn't try to keep the outdoor cat inside. But they live a lot longer if you keep them indoors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesnt most animals live longer in captivity than in the wild? Not sure if its unethical to let nature run its course though.