Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 02:17 PM

Default Hmm...

Are poker announcers biased purposely? I'm watching the WPT Bellagio Five Diamond World Poker Classic and a hand came up with Daniel Negreanu. Now Daniel Negreanu is probably one of my favorite poker players but I'm using this as an example.

Basically an amateur pushes all in on a Qh Qc Th 4h board with 87s on a bluff. Daniel is sitting there with AcKh deciding to make the call. Now I'm not complaining about his call or anything but he sat there thinking his opponent had trip queens, even maybe a boat. After pondering for awhile he finally calls and says "I know I'm probably beat." After he makes the call Sexton talks about how it was an amazing call and it shows how good Daniel felt out his opponent.

But wait, Daniel was talking outloud when he was "feeling" his opponent. He said he thought he was beat but he knew he had outs. If Daniel sat there, pondered and said , "Wow I really think your bluffing right now," then made the call it would be a different story. But I wonder if an unknown made that call would they call him lucky?

I tried to explain it the best I could.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Hmm...

I think DN did think he was on a bluff but just wanted to save face incase his read was wrong
Old 06-14-2007, 02:53 PM

Negreanu often says so many different things, one after the other, that one of his scenarios is usually correct. Sort of like when those guys that claim to be talking to your dead uncle Ralph, say stuff like: "I'm sensing that your uncle died unexpectedly in his sleep, or perhaps fell asleep while driving his car. No...well then he had a stroke or heart-attack? Yes. Good, because he just told me that."

Many other times (like on High Stakes Poker or NBC Heads-Up, etc.), Negreanu does only mention one possibility, but often ignores it, even though his hunch was 100% correct. It happens quite often when he plays against Matusow.

Sexton is a drama king. So, anytime someone makes a good read he screams, "Wow! That's some great poker we're seeing here tonight, Vince." He did that for the entire WPT Canadian Open at Fallsview, which had many amateurs at the table.

It doesn't matter if a pro or amateur made the good play, Sexton will let everybody know how GREAT it was! Sexton is a great salesman. Perhaps some wrestling commentary could be in his future.

I like Sexton, but am already tired of his repetitive phrases, just like in the WPT PS2 video game. Still, he's good at keeping things lively and I like his analysis and criticism most of the time. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think DN did think he was on a bluff but just wanted to save face incase his read was wrong

[/ QUOTE ]
I tend to agree with this analysis.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I tend to agree with this analysis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree as well. Very common among the TV players, they don't want to look bad. If he really thought he was beat he wouldn't have called.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:55 PM

Daniel talks abouth the hand in an article for Card Player, saying he made the call strictly on maths (He was getting 3/1).

Here is the article http://www.cardplayer.com/author/article/all/36/8555
Old 06-14-2007, 08:15 PM

it's the same thing as saying "allright i'll let you bluff me this time" as they fold
Old 06-15-2007, 12:52 AM

Howard Lederer was imitating DN regarding this stuff on another PAD episode. It was on the one with the announcers, and he was saying how DN called hands all the time, but all of the ones he was off on didn't get air time. He said something to the effect of, he gets one out of how many right, and that one gets aired. He then went on to say how DN always covered so he was never wrong, as in, I am gonna let you bluff me this time (as he folds) or, okay, I will pay you off (as he calls). This was he is never wrong. I may not recall this 100%, but I think its pretty accurate.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:28 AM

I agree with you 100%; the announcers are biased. Now, I happen to think that Daniel is the absolute best in the world at one thing, and one thing only: putting other players on hands. In this case, he said that he thought he was beat, and he still made the call, knowing his outs. I think it was a terrible call, but sometimes we have to make those calls, and the other thing, though small, is that Damiel certainly knows more about poker than me! ...
Old 06-15-2007, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are poker announcers biased purposely?

[/ QUOTE ]

The poker community is so inbred and these people logroll all the time so you can't take someone like Mike Sexton (nice guy that he is) seriously when he talks about 'the best call ever' or 'the best laydown ever.' Your example hand is a good one. Had Negreanu been some schmuck off the street VVP and Mike would have piled on about how bad a call it was.

Don't expect any reasoned analysis from these people. The best we can hope for is entertainment and humor.