Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 05:53 PM

Default 10NL - AKs w/ redraw

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG+1 ($4.45)
MP1 ($11.36)
Hero ($12.61)
MP3 ($9.38)
CO ($1.96)
Button ($10.50)
SB ($2.90)
BB ($7.05)
UTG ($2.14)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $0.20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $0.18, BB calls $0.15.

Flop: ($0.80) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.6</font>, CO calls $0.60, SB folds, BB calls $0.60.

Turn: ($2.60) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.5</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $3.75</font>, Hero ??

2 ways I think that I could have played this better:

(i) Checked the flop and not put in a c-bet because of the 4 callers, that way I could have stayed to the river by exercising pot control.

(ii) Check the turn hoping to get a free card, since the CO was a LP, highly unlikely he would bet if it was checked to me (unless he had the straight but I think a lot of people will actually 'slowplay' their straight here in NL10 despite the 2 fd's)

What do you guys think was the best line?

Seems hard to put villain on anything but 79, or 55. What do you guys think? I can't imagine him checking any other set on 3rd n 4th street with the fd's.
If villain had deeper stack I would have called, but he only had $2.50 left behind after the turn raise, so I decided it wasn't worth the pot+implied odds.
isn't it annoying when people buy in short? hehe.

Also, I wanted to post this question, not sure if it belongs in this forum:
In PokerStars, the 0.02/0.05 and 0.05/0.10 both have the maximum buy-in of $10. Obviously this will generate some if not a big difference when it comes to selecting between the 2 types of tables, since the stack to blind ratio is like double when it comes to the 0.05BB ones. I have been contemplating trying to get in pots cheaply with weak starting hands like 45o and 710o and the likes, hoping to hit the hand hard and hope someone with TPWK pays me off or something. However, Sklansky says that the lower the blinds are, the less hands you should play because you aren't pressured to. Which method do you guys think will be better for the 0.02/0.05 table, and how should I adjust when I play in the 0.05/0.10?

Also what other factors do you guys see as most important in NL10 table selection? Avg pot size? % of ppl seeing the flop?

Look forward to the replies, and thanks guys for taking the time ^^
Old 03-02-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Re: 10NL - AKs w/ redraw

I don't play NL10, nor do I know how the players are playing, but I don't cbet that flop very often.

I check flop, and check turn, probably calling a bet.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:43 PM

Against three callers, I may not have cbet the flop. As it was played, I definitely would have checked the turn. You're being given a free shot to hit your nut flush or even the ace or king, so take it.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:35 PM

THis is 5NL, not 10NL.
Usually check the flop, betting is OK at some tables (but at 5NL they are few and far between). On the turn, definitely check again, and call. As played, call the raise, you're about 5:1 against the straight and have implied +express odds of 4.5:1 so it's almost a correct call if you KNOW he has the straight. If you hit the ace/king/whatever just get it all-in on the river
Old 03-02-2007, 08:59 PM

Way to beat NL5: raise with the goods.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:36 PM

I think the biggest thing people at 5/10NL do not realize (I myself was guilty of this) is that the methods that work at higher stakes do not work at this level.

miw210 put it pretty clearly. When you hit your hand you value bet the calling stations and shove the aggressive maniacs (or let them shove you). From one fellow 10NL'er to another: throw the fancy [censored] out the window. You don't need to be 3 betting light, bluffing the river on blanks, etc.

Write down your strategy on paper (e.g. hand selection when IP and OOP, etc), work on your reads and analyze key hands after your session.