Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2007, 10:20 AM

Default OOT- Best coffee pot?

Our old coffee pot is on the fritz and it's time to purchase a new one. What kind should I get?

Drip- what we have been using. Supposedly the quickest, best flavor. I find the use of plastic in the housing always seems to taint the flavor, and I can not find one with metal housing.

French Press- You have to heat the water in a teapot then use this to press the water thru the coffee. Supposedly the best flavor, but the coffee doesnt stay warm and kind of a pain.

Perkolator- the old fashioned pot that uses pressure to send the water thru the coffee. You have to get coarse grind. Very simple to use, but flavor is supposedly lacking.

Any suggestions?

-J
Old 02-25-2007, 11:55 AM

Default Re: OOT- Best coffee pot?

Avoid the percolator at all costs. I have a Cuisinart drip, a Bodum french press and a moka pot. I use them all for different situations I guess. Coffeegeek.com has excellent recommendations but probably more information than you're looking for.

Pay attention to the other variables in making a good cup - filters, bean/roast choices and having your own grinder can drastically change your outcome.

My question for you how would you describe a perfect cup? Strong vs. weak, do you want lots or a little at a time? Do you like to wait or do you want it to be low effort?
Old 02-25-2007, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

French Press- You have to heat the water in a teapot then use this to press the water thru the coffee. Supposedly the best flavor, but the coffee doesnt stay warm and kind of a pain.

[/ QUOTE ]

At Christmas I had my daughters buy me a French press, to replace my nasty, oldish drip coffee maker. For me, the most annoying part of using a French press is the need to clean it after each use. Since I only run my dishwasher approx. every three days, it means I'm washing it by hand at least 4-5 days per week.

However, I now have a routine in which I place the water in the microwave to heat up, which is faster than using a tea kettle. In the 2.5 minutes it takes the water to come to a near boil, I am able to unscrew the French press stem, rinse off the grounds and wipe away the sludge, rinse out the pot, reassemble the stem, and fill the cleaned pot with grounds...after which all I need to do is pour the water over the grounds, stir, and wait four minutes for it to brew.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with making coffee the French press way.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:00 PM

This is a good question. I have a Mr.Coffee and when I first got it I hated the taste. I could definitely taste the plastic. It seriously took about 2 weeks of use before the taste went away or I just became accustomed to it.

I've tried a French Press but found it to be sort of a pain. Still, I might actually prefer it to the taste of plastic.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:12 PM

Your coffee tastes may be more refined than mine, but I got this for Christmas and it rocks. No clean up, coffee in about 30 seconds, can switch flavors and my travel mug fits underneath the brewer and lets me fill up two cups worth. Well worth the money.

Keurig K-Cup
Old 02-25-2007, 05:23 PM

I have really come to like moka pots:

They're very cheap, and make a good, strong cup of coffee. Not quite as strong as espresso, but pretty close.

Wiki article on moka pots.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:42 AM

Bump. Okay, what is the best type of coffee ever?

-J