Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2007, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Please post your favorite Bible verses here

[ QUOTE ]
I've read SitNHit's posts before, and just because he is close minded on the issues and I am not doesn't mean I will become atheist. I am trying to learn specifically to strengthen my faith, not to go against it. I am very dedicated to following Christ and have no doubt in my mind that I will follow him until the day I die...I respect your opinions on the matter, but I think if you really knew me you wouldn't be saying these things. I think I am rare in that I am a very skeptical, rational, and logical person, yet I still have strong faith in God. I want to learn what nonbelievers and other religions believe so I can understand my own faith even more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm discounting your claim that you are very logical when you contradict yourself by saying you are searching for evidence for a conclusion that you have already decided on and will never change. If you will be a Christian for the rest of your life no matter what, how can any evidence possibly matter?
Old 02-22-2007, 11:48 PM

Old 02-23-2007, 12:08 AM

This is a good point, but I think I didn't make myself clear before. I'm not saying I refuse to accept anything that doesn't support my current beliefs...I meant that I am here to understand other people's perspectives. I didn't say I was "searching for evidence", but I didn't make myself clear. If something convinced me that God didn't exist, or that the Bible was wrong, I do not think I would ignore it. I just don't believe that will ever happen. If this is illogical, I will stop claiming to be logical.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a good point, but I think I didn't make myself clear before. I'm not saying I refuse to accept anything that doesn't support my current beliefs...I meant that I am here to understand other people's perspectives. I didn't say I was "searching for evidence", but I didn't make myself clear. If something convinced me that God didn't exist, or that the Bible was wrong, I do not think I would ignore it. I just don't believe that will ever happen. If this is illogical, I will stop claiming to be logical.

[/ QUOTE ]

The bible is factually wrong in many places. And as far as proving that god doesn't exist...do we really need to go down this path every post?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you base that belief on? Something made ME stop believing, so we have precedent. If you promised to never use the phrases "Well, thats just what I believe, and thats that" and "You have to have faith, I can't explain it" I am fairly sure that we could 'convert' you in a matter of months. But we all know that would be a promise you couldn't keep.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:41 AM

I base my belief on a number of things. 1)I cannot fathom this world being an accident. 2)I have heard many testimonies of faith in God and Jesus changing people's lives in a positive way (ex: my friend's parents both had cancer, were both Christians who prayed for healing, and were miraculously healed) 3)Since I have become a Christ follower, I have seen positive changes in my life that weren't there before, and wouldn't be without God (yes, I know I have no PROOF that God made the changes, but I don't need proof to believe it). There are many more reasons, but you get the idea.

Vhawk, what made you stop believing?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I base my belief on a number of things. 1)I cannot fathom this world being an accident. 2)I have heard many testimonies of faith in God and Jesus changing people's lives in a positive way (ex: my friend's parents both had cancer, were both Christians who prayed for healing, and were miraculously healed) 3)Since I have become a Christ follower, I have seen positive changes in my life that weren't there before, and wouldn't be without God (yes, I know I have no PROOF that God made the changes, but I don't need proof to believe it). There are many more reasons, but you get the idea.

Vhawk, what made you stop believing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Reason. Specifically, a few core concepts, those being burden of proof, parsimony, and falsifiability.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree. It's like asking this:
You have a mother who smokes 4 packs a day. You have to choose a new mother, and you can go for:

1) Your mother
2) An identical clone of your mother, except that she does not smoke.

Any reasonable person would choose (2).

[/ QUOTE ]

I would choose 1. Having watched twilight zone/outer limts I recognize the danger of 2. type scenarios.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:24 AM

Default Whipping post

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that in the times of the Old Testament, God was an angry God and that He was full of wrath. I also believe that God is completely just, and if He did kill all of these people, He had a justified reason in doing so. (Example: being all knowing, perhaps He knew these people He killed would destroy the world, or something of the sort. I'm not saying this is the case, it's just an example of why God would do something that is justified but we can't understand.)

[/ QUOTE ]But if He knew they would destroy the world, why would He allow them to be born in the first place? Since God takes such an exception to people bent on destroying His world, He could have arranged things so that they would not even get born.

I can think of no explanation that would justify the killing of babies by God, except for one: That God is, as I said numerous times already, the supreme sadist.

Mickey Brausch
Old 02-23-2007, 03:27 AM

Default Form a line

[ QUOTE ]
NotReady claimed that he WANTED the God of the Bible to exist, in preference of other Gods. He also claimed that Atheists do not want God to exist. My claim is that the latter is not generally true, and we've had threads about it before. He thumbed his nose at preferring other "imaginary Gods", and I'm trying to show that it is ridiculous to NOT prefer other imaginare Gods. Atheists shun the GOTB because (for one reason) he is a mass murderer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Notice that nothing that NotReady submits in defense of his faith would entice a reasonably intelligent non-believer to start believing.