Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 02:25 AM

Default Top 2 OOP

Ok so I'm at this 6 handed table. No stats on villains, been only playing less than 50 hands on so. It was a passive table preflop, but would change to maniac-style postflop, which is why I open limped Ax suited UTG, for the implied odds.

Ok now I flop top 2 pair, obviously not the flushy kinda hand I was looking for, but still good. I realise that there would be sets out there that will beat me, but also all sorts of straight draws.

Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

Hero (UTG): $9.85
MP: $7.75
CO: $4.95
BTN: $10.05
SB: $8.55
BB: $12.25

Pre-Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (UTG)
Hero calls $0.10, MP calls $0.10, CO calls $0.10, BTN folds, SB calls $0.05, BB checks

Flop: ($0.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 Players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $0.50</font>, MP calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, 2 folds

Turn: ($2) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">Hero? </font>

Will post turn action after replies.
Also, anyone have any idea what the best way to play a table like this is? The type that is real tight preflop, but big pots build postflop as people get overvalue their own hands.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:42 AM

Default Re: Top 2 OOP

Raise p/f (if you're playing at all, I'm usually folding this UTG), pot the turn and fire again on the river unless something horrible like a seven hits. Nobody has a set and there's nothing else there besides the straight draw that counterfeits your top two.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fold p/f , pot the turn and fire again on the river unless something horrible like a seven hits. Nobody has a set and there's nothing else there besides the straight draw that counterfeits your top two.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-30-2007, 02:44 AM

you got two calls from your bet. one of them has an ace and probably neitehr of them are folding. i lead again on the turn.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:50 AM

I'd pot the turn and fold to a reraise shove most likely from 57,710,88,99. Personally i would play a few more suited connectors and the like and value bet the hell out of my hands post flop. (depending on the flop obviously) But I'm sure other posters can come up with better ways of playing said table
Old 10-30-2007, 02:51 AM

would u guys mind walking me through the logic that led to u deducing noone had a set?

I didn't wanna raise, especially not UTG because this table was extremely nitty and an UTG raise would most likely just win the blinds. I thought it would have been better to play a mult-way unraised pot since the pots generally got very big postflop as long as there were enough guys tagging along to see the flop.

Also, how much to lead turn? Notice that the CO has about $4.35 behind. A PSB would have basically got me pot commited if MP folded and CO called or rai.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:02 AM

Anybody who doesn't, well, completely suck is raising 99 and 88 PF. So a set is super duper unlikely.

If you didn't want to raise PF then you shouldn't be open calling with a hand like A9s. Someone could easily wake up with AT+ and unless you spike a 9, as you did, you've got no idea where you're at.

While I understand your logic, making plays like that is going to cost you money in the long run.

$2 on the turn is fine, if he calls then go for the rest everytime. The way the hand is played, all signs point to nobody having a set. And if someone is stupid enough to play one like that then, well, you're gonna have to pay them off.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:55 AM

Thanks for your help guys. Turn+river action was pretty much forced I think given that CO was shortstacked, but here it is if you guys feel like giving any feedback.

<font color="red">Hero bets $2</font>, MP folds, CO calls $2

River: ($6) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $2.35</font>, CO calls $2.35 and is All-In

Results: $10.70 Pot ($0.50 Rake)
Hero showed 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (two pair, Aces and Nines) and LOST (-$4.95 NET)
CO showed 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (four of a kind, Sixes) and WON $10.20 (+$5.25 NET)
Old 10-30-2007, 07:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for your help guys. Turn+river action was pretty much forced I think given that CO was shortstacked, but here it is if you guys feel like giving any feedback.

<font color="red">Hero bets $2</font>, MP folds, CO calls $2

River: ($6) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $2.35</font>, CO calls $2.35 and is All-In

Results: $10.70 Pot ($0.50 Rake)
Hero showed 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (two pair, Aces and Nines) and LOST (-$4.95 NET)
CO showed 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (four of a kind, Sixes) and WON $10.20 (+$5.25 NET)

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard - I fold PF but as played this is standard.