Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Need Tips - Workout Advice for a Girl

[ QUOTE ]
But if you get up and don't eat right away, aren't you burning that energy just the same in the morning? Or not, someone correct me.

[/ QUOTE ]

no. during the night, after your glycogen stores are full, the rest is stored as fat deposits. The next morning, the first thing you burn through is your glycogen stores...next muscle. sorry no sources.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:00 PM

OK, I read up on glycogen. I'm sold... will start eating breakfast and smaller, early dinners.... *tear*
Old 08-31-2007, 01:53 PM

Your body doesn't store it up until you decide to use it for immediate energy need that are in fact actually many hours later. You either use the energy as it gets made available to the body, or the body stores any it doesn't need as fat.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...eat the fewest for breakfast and the most for dinner . How important is this?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly opposite of what it should be.

[/ QUOTE ]

why? please site sources...calories in = calories out no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, actually it is pretty comon sense. Food is fuel, period. So, when you get up in the morning you need fuel to get the day started and as you have more body functions active than when you are sleeping. So this should not only be the largest meal of the day, this should be the meal with the most carbs as well.

Alot of people say your metabolism slows at night. but according to this article by WebMD, there have not been enough studies to prove that.

However, what happens when you eat your biggest meal at the beginning of the day is it influences the rest of your days meals and studies on breakfast eaters versus non breakfast eaters HAVE proven again and again that the breakfast eaters eat less throughtout the day. And non breakfast eaters end up eating more at night and are more apt to being overweight.

I am mostly just speaking from experience as I went from 255 down to 175 in just over 14 months and have maintained 175-185 for 2 years now.

If you still need more sources, just google "smallest meal of the day" and all you will get are fitness articles on why dinner should be the smallest.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:34 PM

Actually here , here and here (page 212) are 3 seperate studies that show large meals in the morning are better for weight loss than large meals in the evening
Old 08-31-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, I read up on glycogen. I'm sold... will start eating breakfast and smaller, early dinners.... *tear*

[/ QUOTE ]

You can eat right before bed. I do this. Its really not a big deal if you are consuming 10% of you daily calories right before bed. But it is a huge deal if you eat 50% of your calories before you sleep. The most important thing is to get a steady stream of calories into your body all day.

Chair,

I don't really feel like looking up the research to back this stuff up. I think other people did, but I'm essentially parroting really basic fitness princeples. Some of the stuff advised is std. but for people who're much "older" in terms of diet and fitness. But I haven't seen anything really bad in this thread in and of itself, just misappropriated.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:02 PM

I have to eat a little before bed. I get too hungry otherwise. I usually eat a decent sized meal. If not I will wake up in the middle of the night starving.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:04 AM

Eating a small meal right before bed is pretty common among fitness minded people. Like thremp said a SMALL meal. I actually concentrate on slow digesting protein. A cup of cottage cheese works great for me and is recommended by John Berandi who everyone here either respects or at least knows of his work.

Oh and here is an article that explains what happens to you when you sleep.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:34 PM

Heard through facebook stalking that y'all are engaged. Congratulations! I guess looking good for the wedding will be a good motivator for your new routine.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:03 PM

Ahhhh!!!! From where on facebook did you hear the news? I'm thrilled and yes I want to be a hot skinny bitch for the wedding.

For more details see my thread in OOT.

Yay!

Thanks slickpoppa [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]