Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 11:31 PM

Default Re: Two things I hate about Firefox vs. Explorer

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think this is well known:

In both Firefox and IE you can delete mis-spellings or any other URLs you don't want in the autocomplete by highlighting them (down-arrow) and hitting the DELETE key.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is friggin awesome. How did I not know this. Thank you.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think this is well known:

In both Firefox and IE you can delete mis-spellings or any other URLs you don't want in the autocomplete by highlighting them (down-arrow) and hitting the DELETE key.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what the mayans must have felt like when the aliens gave them pyramids.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:52 PM

You can add keywords to your bookmarks. For example, I have bookmarked the major forums I visit regularly and labeled them. oot, se, bb4l, pol, vg, atf

you can do this for any site you want, just right click the bookmark and type in the keyword. anytime you type in that keyword you are taken to the site.

You can do the same thing for searches. Just go to the site you want, right click in the searchbox, and choose "Add a Keyword for this search" to wit:

Now just type in (without quotes) "g <your search terms>" in the location bar and you're off.

This works for basically every search. I have it for google, google images, google maps, baseball-ref, basketball-ref, pro-football-ref, baseball prospectus, imdb, wikipedia, and dictionary.com
Old 08-23-2007, 12:06 AM

Jack, you follow basketball? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

That delete tip was awesome but not sure if I'll use it much. Although it is OT for this thread people are being helpful so I'm gonna give one of the best tips I was ever given and which I posted a long time ago: to go to a web address ending in .com, simply type in the webiste and then hit CTRL + ENTER. No www DOT website DOT com. Just website + CTRL + ENTER. The last time I posted some people said it was news to them so here you go.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:10 AM

Oh, another tip: if you want a duplicate tab, all you have to do is go to the address bar and hit alt+enter. this loads whatever address you have typed in in a new tab.

shift+enter adds .net to any address.

if you just enter "espn" it should take you to the espn page, as by default firefox will return the first result of a google search.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:14 AM

I use the bookmark keywords a lot, but didn't know about the search. Do you find it any better than the built in search toolbar? Because I have google, wiki, basketball-ref (most used), etc.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:17 AM

I find it better since it's much quicker to choose a search engine. If there were a way to choose the engine with the keyboard I'd be all for it. As it is, I can search anything quickly with:

ctrl+l (go to location bar)
keyword <search>
alt+enter for new tab.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I found I can use neither launch.yahoo.com nor my online Netflix viewing with Firefox - I have to use the Borg -

aside from that, I'm a firefox guy for all else.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure if it has been posted, but the IE Tab extension is great for sites that force you to use IE.

-d
Old 08-23-2007, 12:49 AM

I didnt read this whole thread, cuz I aint THAT bored, yet. I love my new browser - FLOCK. It is a Firefox spawn, of sorts. It has a built in Mediabar (linked to Photobucket, or Flickr), built in web-clipboard, RSS Feeds sidebar, Delicious/Tags. The built-in search widget searches your favorites, and history.

I started using it for the Mass Upload Tool for PhotoBucket, but now it is my default browser.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it better since it's much quicker to choose a search engine. If there were a way to choose the engine with the keyboard I'd be all for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ctrl-K takes you to the search box at top right. Then Ctrl-[up arrow] or [dn arrow] lets you cycle through the available search engines. Defaults are google, amazon, ebay, yahoo, and a few others. To add more choices, try this.