Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2007, 03:37 AM

Default Re: HUGE tilt loss

[ QUOTE ]

cymbalta? drugs are not the answer. they fix the symptoms, not the cause

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to convince you - however - sometimes the chemistry IS the cause. We're physical beings, "emotions" are chemical reactions, stress caused physical changes. Insulin doesn't cure diabetes, other things get out of whack in a body also.

Again, not saying anyone should, but it can be an option to explore. In the case of the imbalance being the problem, medication would be a cure.

But first I'd read a few books on poker psychology and see if that turns on any lights.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lucky,
, "omg i just lost $40k, i need to make this back ASAP"

[/ QUOTE ]

that says it all. however good you are, whatever stakes you play at i truly believe the most difficult part of the game is dealing with the seething anger, adrenaline overload and total mind collapse of these situations. and it's also the part of the game most assimilated with true gambling - you can beat the opponents but you can't always beat your own mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

ive said this for a while now. the mechanics of betting/raising/folding/handreading etc are easily learned (despite the fact that most 2p2ers are horrid). the 'best' player in my mind has all the intangibles down pat as well: tilt control, br management, game selection, etc. maybe why i enjoyed barrys book so much

i called my dad and told him about the loss, he watches on tv and stuff so doesnt know much. he kept saying, "dont play high stakes youre not good enough. just like two years now you didnt go far in the wsop. those high stakes people are too tough for you."

and i kept saying, "no dad thats not it at all. you dont understand. im good enough to play those games. i just do stupid things and go crazy when it starts going bad."

but as i think about what he said more, hes right, although in a different sense than he intended. from that perspective, i have a LEAK in my game. im not 'good enough' to play in those games (despite the fact that i know i have an edge, playing-wise). i cant cope with losses and stay on my game. im good enough at most hsnl games, i can lose and still play my a-game. but at nosebleed im not good enough to do that yet

[ QUOTE ]
the fact that you said it came out of nowhere is what fascinates me here. what was different about that session from previous losing sessions?

[/ QUOTE ]

i meant from say two years ago when i was building roll through the stakes where the money mattered a lot more..
Old 08-04-2007, 07:59 PM

" i just do stupid things and go crazy when it starts going bad."

there you go