Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 11:39 PM

Default Re: Knife VS Bat, who wins?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm starting to see the knifer POV also, but I'll still stick with bat.

Knifers - did you watch the youtube vid? What would you do differently as the knifer? (I admit the knifer could have put on a much better display.) I think one thing is clear though: the raw fear when seeing a dude swinging wildly at you is enough to make you think twice about sticking around with a knife. Average joes can't control this aspect as well as seasoned fighters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, the bat is very intimidating (one of its strengths as a weapon), but if the fight is to be to the death, and I'm assuming both combatants know this going in to the fight, I imagine that adrenaline, etc would compensate largely for the fear factor.

I also am beginning to think that experience plays a huge role here... I mean two people who've never been in any sort of fight before, probably advantage bat. As the skill of the two increases I think the advantage shifts further and further towards the knife.

With the correct strategy though (getting in close as quickly as possible) I think the knife is extremely difficult to beat in this situation though.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here's my idea. Wiffleball bat covered with paint versus marker representing the knife. Video camera. YouTube.

gogogogo

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I first thought of marker, but then realized it only marks on the tip, whereas a knife is also edged. I still say paintbrush.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Knifers - did you watch the youtube vid? What would you do differently as the knifer? (I admit the knifer could have put on a much better display.) I think one thing is clear though: the raw fear when seeing a dude swinging wildly at you is enough to make you think twice about sticking around with a knife. Average joes can't control this aspect as well as seasoned fighters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, the bat is very intimidating (one of its strengths as a weapon), but if the fight is to be to the death, and I'm assuming both combatants know this going in to the fight, I imagine that adrenaline, etc would compensate largely for the fear factor.

I also am beginning to think that experience plays a huge role here... I mean two people who've never been in any sort of fight before, probably advantage bat. As the skill of the two increases I think the advantage shifts further and further towards the knife.

With the correct strategy though (getting in close as quickly as possible) I think the knife is extremely difficult to beat in this situation though.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is definitely true that for the very inexperienced fighter the bat will probably be the much better weapon, since one good strike is more likely to be sufficient. I still think that for experienced fighters, the bat holds some advantage, although it is much closer at that point.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blarg I can seriously swing a bat back and forth pretty quickly, while moving a little, such that it would be more difficult than you think to get your knife hand in close to my body.

But I really think this thread is exhausted without video trials. Someone more motivated than I needs to step up. Actually, if it takes place in Twin Cities, I'll volunteer to show up with a camera and/or participate.

link in my earlier post was effed up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0kC11cq8KQ
Classic In Living Color skit. Not as funny as I remember it, but very relevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I'm not saying it's easy, especially for someone who doesn't train in quick closes. But for life and death stakes, people are gonna be giving it 100%, and moving just as fast as they can, too. A bat is inherently slow and telegraphic. Even if you handle it reasonably well, the nature of the weapon doesn't change. And we are talking about equals, so if you are especially good at swinging a bat, we should assume that a knife guy is especially good at closing a couple of yards.

I think that between two completely untrained guys, a bat's chances leap up. Some guys will probably think backing up is better than charging in -- hey, it at least gets you away from the pain. But it also takes away any chance to do some cutting or stabbing. If you scare a guy with a knife so he doesn't charge in, sooner or later you're pretty likely to land something on him from a safe distance.

But people with a little more experience will know that they can't let you keep the range advantage forever, or sooner or later that bat is going to land.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I am definitely not sticking around if I see a weapon.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1) "By the time I hit you with a bat you'll be too [censored] up to stab me, etc" false - 1 bat strike that can be deflected, absorbed or damage-decreased is painful and will cause damage, but not incapacitate an opponent of comparable skill

[/ QUOTE ]
This is absurd. Have you ever hit a baseball/softball? Go get a bat and start hitting fences/trees/etc with it. You're out of your mind if you think you are going to simply deflect my bat swing and just keep coming right at me, as if your arm will be the only thing affected. You will be knocked off course at an absolute minimum.

[/ QUOTE ]

stationary vs moving targets

I can crush a baseball off a tee, or if it is lobbed in there, but against a MLB pitch I'd rarely make good contact

[/ QUOTE ]

What if it was a baseball the size of a human?
Old 07-10-2007, 12:31 AM

I saw this thread and thought "man, it'd be tough to kill a bat with a knife."
Ohhh, bat. I'm an idiot.
I then thought "Obviously I choose the bat."

After reading this thread I'm not entirely sure anymore, but this is a really funny thread.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:37 AM

Having played baseball all my life I feel inclined to take the bat and I feel like people are vastly underestimating the force someone could generate with a bat. It's been said that the knifer could continue closing, which is possible and I've never seen demonstrated but I think if I stood ready to swing a bat and someone charged at me I would be able to rather easily at least throw them off balance no matter where I hit them with the bat. Obv if I swing for your head you could avoid it, but a bat isn't nearly as cumbersome as others think and dodging it is probably as hard as dodging a knife slash.

A hand slicing through the air with a knife is probably close to equal to the speed at which a bat slices through the air with a trained swing (that is to say both hands together on the bottom of the bat yielding maximum velocity and force). I think the effective speed of the hand and bat is equal. Sorta like dodging an arrow fired at you from a bow or a bullet. A bullet travels much faster than the arrow but I think (not sure just a random example) the arrow would be going too fast to dodge.

If initial swing doesn't knock you off balance/immobolize you I think it is fair to think that my life reflex or whatever is just as likely to get me out of your grasp, albeit sliced up moderately-badly, as you are to continue moving forward and get a good grip on me after I hit you.

The other aspect that is being overlooked is that it is actually relatively easy to kill someone with a bat that is immobolized on the ground. Even if you slash me badly I think I could continue fighting much more effectively than you could after being crushed somewhere. If I'm bleeding badly I'm likely to die, but only if I stand there and don't fight.

I firmly believe that I could knock someone off balance on their first rush enough to reposition for another hit, however given that the charger does continue moving toward me and gets a stab or slash in I think I can get another firm blow to them and that would immobolize them by force. I think ribs bent into ones body would actually stop you from fighting back regardless of adrenaline. Obv I don't know how badly i would be immobolized by a knife slash and we will never know.

Basically, anybody who has a significant amount of experience with a baseball bat should be able to "deflect" the initial rush of the knifer. They may be immobolized or get a stab/slash in but I think given one stab/slash gets in it's still 50/50 who dies first. Knife is more effective in murdering, bat is more effective in immobolizing which in this case is the same thing.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:47 AM

wood bat or aluminium bat?
Old 07-10-2007, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wood bat or aluminium bat?

[/ QUOTE ]

don't stoke the fire bro [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]