Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 05:23 PM

Default NL 100: Tricky JJ in BB

Villian in the hand is 8-tabling like me, he seems pretty solid, but could def. be isolating from the button.
What's the play?

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $16.85
<font color="black">Hero (BB): $100.00</font>
UTG: $45.25
MP: $93.50
CO: $109.55
BTN: $200.80

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">MP raises to $3.50</font>, CO folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $12.00</font>, SB folds, <font color="red">Hero ??</font>,

Regards, youcan
ps. Don't have any stats on him.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:49 PM

Default Re: NL 100: Tricky JJ in BB

I think the strength of the reraise dictates fold. I'd be very surprised if 12X BB was any pair TT or below. Best case you're probably up against AK. You're out of position. If you call I think it's most likely to set farm making the JJ no better than a small pair. In the case that JJ is overpair on the flop and you bet out and get raised you can no longer assume AK. I call the $12 in position to see what he does on flop but I think that's too high a price out of the blinds.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:51 PM

call
Old 06-11-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the strength of the reraise dictates fold. I'd be very surprised if 12X BB was any pair TT or below. Best case you're probably up against AK. You're out of position. If you call I think it's most likely to set farm making the JJ no better than a small pair. In the case that JJ is overpair on the flop and you bet out and get raised you can no longer assume AK. I call the $12 in position to see what he does on flop but I think that's too high a price out of the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

disagree with ^^^^^^^

villain isnt 3betting with only AK and high pairs.... and $12 is a smallish 3bet, so betsize means nothing (meaning that 12 isnt a lot).

frankly, I hate calling here because then u are playing the hand face-up.

I don't know why u don't have stats, because u seem to assume villain is solid... so if he's a nit then i fold, if he's Lag or kinda loose tag or w/e, then sometimes i'll 4bet. I call sometimes too, but hate doing it
Old 06-11-2007, 10:54 PM

how does calling here turn your hand face up?a solid player's 3 beting range vs a button open is waaaaay wider than QQ+

i open a ton of hands from the button and usually get 3bet pretty light from the multitabling tags in the blinds, so calling here is pretty standard for me.
im def not fodling unless i know villain is a 12/8 nit.

i think calling is best here in general. and you're not calling for set value either.

EDIT oh wow, i completely misread action. thought you were button and BB 3bet... didnt realize it was going to be a multiway flop. folding isnt bad here. coldcalling 3 bets is mcuh differnt than caling a 3bet in position HU like i suggested above
Old 06-11-2007, 10:57 PM

Call. See the outcome of the flop.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how does calling here turn your hand face up?a solid player's 3 beting range vs a button open is waaaaay wider than QQ+

i open a ton of hands from the button and usually get 3bet pretty light from the multitabling tags in the blinds, so calling here is pretty standard for me.
im def not fodling unless i know villain is a 12/8 nit.

i think calling is best here in general. and you're not calling for set value either. you have position, use it and play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP, we are in the BB, if we coldcall a 3-bet we still have MP to act behind us. Puts us in a lil' bit of a bind here....

This is why middle pairs here like JJ are so difficult to play. BTW, I see nothing wrong here with a fold if OP is uncomfortable playing OOP in a multiway 3-bet pot. And cold-calling the 3-bet does turn our hand face up here, we are not calling with SC's below KQ, and PP below 99 makes it real easy for the villain to narrow our range.

Personally, I think your options are 4-bet/fold to push here, or fold period....

Really don't like calling here, especially with no real reads on Villain from the Button other than the fact that he's 8-tabling.

But I would love to hear so info on why we should call here, rather than blanket statements. Always willing to see a diff. view and see if its valid.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:11 PM

Eh, I probably just dump it without knowing how loose the button could be raising here. If we call we're going to have to play a big hand OOP without really knowing where we stand. 4-betting is a possibility if you know that the button is 3-betting light, but since we don't know, I think it's too risky.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:12 AM

Playing this OOP w/out decent reads will be difficult. If either of the other players are good, then they will be able to put a lot of pressure on you on a wide variety of flops. Your range will be narrower than either of theirs and they will have position on you. I might just dump this, even though I hate being this nitty.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
call

[/ QUOTE ]