Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2007, 10:10 AM

Default NOOB investor, help appreciated

With online poker's "life" in the balance, I've become interested in other forms of making money.

I really have no idea how the stock market works, and if you guys could answer some questions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

1. Where is the edge in trading?

a. I THINK I understand the edge in long term investing, as the economy is usually moving forward...you make money by investing in various parts of it.

b. I don't understand where your edge is in short term trading (I'm talking about weekly/monthly, not by the minute). The only edge I understand is insider trading, where you buy the stock for less before the market realizes its worth.

In poker, the edge is that people have different motives for playing. Some people play for fun and will not spend the same amount of time learning the game as professionals.

Id greatly appreciate if someone could explain to me where the edge is in stock trading.

2. I have a 10k bankroll. Can I even trade?

thanks in advance,
bb
Old 03-19-2007, 03:15 AM

Default Re: NOOB investor, help appreciated

[ QUOTE ]
1. Where is the edge in trading?

a. I THINK I understand the edge in long term investing, as the economy is usually moving forward...you make money by investing in various parts of it.

b. I don't understand where your edge is in short term trading (I'm talking about weekly/monthly, not by the minute). The only edge I understand is insider trading, where you buy the stock for less before the market realizes its worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Insider trading gets you prison if you're caught.

"Edge" implies an advantage over other market participants. I don't think you want to think like that. As far as where profitability comes from, there is no "the". There are countless ways that different people use to make profits.

[ QUOTE ]
2. I have a 10k bankroll. Can I even trade?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Not daytrade extensively. Have realistic expectations.

Most people go broke several times before finding something that works for them.