Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Being Told \"you have a problem\"

[ QUOTE ]
I think it helps that my degree is in mathematics, so when I tell them, "Poker is about math," they trust that I have a clue what I'm talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am also a math major. I hate it when math is debased to be about combinatoric calculations from high school. In all math courses I've taken the last two years, nothing has been possible to relate to poker. Maybe you could change your line to "poker is a pathetically small subset of math".

"Yeah I have an exam in hardy spaces tomorrow"
"OMG what calculator do you use"
Old 10-12-2007, 07:49 PM

Buy a

with a license plate that says PROBLEM

Then whenever somebody says you have a problem, get all excited and say "Oh you've seen it, it's amazing isn't it?!"

Also whenever your family members ask you what you are doing, say "i'm taking my problem out for a spin."

Irieguy
Old 10-12-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Buy a

with a license plate that says PROBLEM

Then whenever somebody says you have a problem, get all excited and say "Oh you've seen it, it's amazing isn't it?!"

Also whenever your family members ask you what you are doing, say "i'm taking my problem out for a spin."

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. I've been told the "you have a problem" lime before, and I wish I could do this (but I wouldn't put "Problem" as my license plate though).
Old 10-13-2007, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol @ 4 hours a day being "part time". Thats as full time as it gets in the online poker world.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL yea no way any online pro plays more then 4 hours a day.....
Old 10-13-2007, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Background...
1 year ago, I decided to play poker as a PT job.
Today, still doing it, and doing well..
Playing about 4 hours per night.
Talked to some family members about how I was earning XX per hour playing poker...
They told me I had a problem because I play too much...my one cousing, who works two part time jobs and goes to school, said.."you have a problem, but thats great!" Anyone else get this?
Maybe I should keep it to myself and my girlfriend.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to get it but that was pre-poker-boom. Nowadays most people are fascinated with the idea of professional poker so instead of grief I get asked alot of curious questions.

A couple of people asked me if I though I was a compulsive gambler. I usually tell them that I used to be but once I became a winning player it became too difficult of a job to be something I wanted to compulsively do. Strangely enough I think this is why I have been stuck at middle limits my entire life, I dont have the gamble that most compulsive people have.

yoga

fwiw

yoga
Old 10-13-2007, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You do have a problem and that is caring one bit about what other people think of you. Screw them.

[/ QUOTE ]

definitely
Old 10-13-2007, 01:24 AM

My brother an I were having an argument about me not having a real job. I told him that we could compare bank statements. He then responded with "you only have money because you have a gambling problem" I loled.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Develop a heroin addiction.
Then you can show them what a real problem is.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO
Old 10-13-2007, 01:44 AM

I have also gotten the you have a problem line from someone because I let them watch me and I lost more in one hand than they make in a week. Then the bad session continued and I lost more in a couple of hours than they make in a month. They told me I should quit playing poker before I go broke, I responded by telling him I have made more in one month than you make a year and I know how to play within my bankroll. He just looked at me confused and in disbelief.

I used to get it from my parents, but not anymore because they know everything I have is paid in full and I have money in the bank.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:25 AM

I've talked about this with my classmates and they seem to have an idea on why I win and why I won't go broke. I explain how I win more than I lose by playing well, which amounts to +EV spots. Then I outline why a bankroll prevents me from going bust. They all seem to have to various grasps of this.

Oh yeah, they're all stats majors.

As an aside though, I must not get out enough. Of the people I talk to (not just classmates), I can't recall the last time I talked to someone about poker and they walked away thinking poker was pure luck. Must be something I'm doing wrong, or right. I use a handful of analogies to common games to define a +EV edge and extend it to poker.