Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 02:29 AM

Default Re: What are the top pros worth?

[ QUOTE ]
PA doesnt pay tax does he?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not since he moved to Monaco
Old 11-03-2007, 02:39 AM

Doyle is worth approx. $100M according to a friend of mine (gentleman around 70 years old) who has known Doyle and his running partners over the past 40 years. Doyle had considerable stakes in many vegas business ventures that did very well in the past 10-15 years.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:48 AM

this sounds about right.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:23 AM

I remember reading Todd Brunson and some other pros (not Doyle, tho he regrets it) made a TON of money investing in a stock back in the 90s. MedRec or something.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:23 AM

I would bet that any of the top players have a significant amount of money stashed away in real estate and other investments. If they have a 5-8mil net worth, I figure an intelligent person would invest 3-4 million and run with a roll of about 5 mil. 4 million dollars will accumulate quite a bit of interest, certainly enough to live on as a fallout.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All these guys are excellent cash game players, one person on Rounders the Poker show said Antonio may be the best NL player in the world at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't doubt this. I was shocked at how good he was the first couple of times I saw him on HSP.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:19 AM

I think many top pros have way less than most people think. When winning large sums of money comes relatively easy to you, it makes it much easier to spend your money foolishly. Almost all top pros have huge gambling problems and probably make decisions like, "Hey, I can afford to blow 200k on crap/prop bets/ sportsbetting etc and just win it all back playing poker." I also think that in order for these players to still get a rush from playing poker they need to player for higher stakes than they can truely afford (in the sense of a 20 buy in BR time of mentality). Finally, most of them know that they could easily borrow money or get staked by other players.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember reading Todd Brunson and some other pros (not Doyle, tho he regrets it) made a TON of money investing in a stock back in the 90s. MedRec or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Insider trading FTW.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is from Hendon mob poker database...I suspect that these guys are worth at least 5x as much because of cash games.

Antonio Esfandiari <- 2,790,274
Sam Farha <- 2,085,965
David Benyamine <- 1,144,122 online last year he made at least another 1,000,000
Patrik Antonius <- 2,683,442
Guy Laliberté <- billionaire
Jamie Gold <- 12,170,024 because of taxes and settlements 7 million
Doyle Brunson <- 5,277,782 thats just from tourneys 20 million + with cash games, investments and books.
Barry Greenstein <- 5,374,998 at least 20 million + also

[/ QUOTE ]

What you fail to understand is that not everyone wins in cash games.

[/ QUOTE ]

All these guys are excellent cash game players, one person on Rounders the Poker show said Antonio may be the best NL player in the world at this point. Sam Farha wins in PLO and is probably the best in that also. Who in this lineup besides Gold and Guy doesn't win in Cash games???

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter, you're not going to win every cash game session you play.. and probably not even 3/4. Poker is a game of luck. You can push all in preflop with AA and lose to AK .. it's the way of the game.

And if you're one of the most successful poker players, you're going to be playing against the best. So it's basically who is luckiest in any given session. And that's where people who have not played Poker for a long time see. I mean even Doyle himself confessed he's been broke 100+ times in his poker career. I'm sure he's referring to being 'poker broke' but that just goes to show the amount of variance you see after a long time.

At the stakes the best players play, it's not odd to lose half a million in a weeks time, or more. So then even having winning sessions only means you're breaking even.

I think the only real successful poker players are those who play a very limited time and also limit themselves to a buy-in or two at a time (ala Phil Ivey).

[/ QUOTE ]

AHAHAHAHAHAHA
aAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAAHHAAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

oh boy.

/thread
Old 11-04-2007, 12:32 PM

On one of the HSP episodes one of the other players said to Doyle something like, "Doyle, you need the money", and Doyle responded with, "You think you're joking but you're not" and he looked as serious as a heart attack when he said it.