Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 10:57 PM

Default Video Game Music

Anybody else enjoy it? I have a large collection of mostly older video game OSTs from the SNES and PSX/PS2 era that I have loaded on iTunes, and I love putting them on all on shuffle and listening to them while playing poker or just doing random things on my laptop. I find that it's the best type of music to listen to while playing poker since it's somewhat relaxing and helps keep me in a good mood. I think the biggest reason why I enjoy listening to them is the nostalgic effect that they have. Basically, they remind me when I was a kid and had so much fun playing these games (I really don't play many video games currently).

So, do you listen to video game music at all? If so what soundtracks do you own and/or which are you favorites?

Some of my all time favorites include Castlevania: Symphony of the Night(PSX), Chrono Cross(PSX), Final Fantasy VI(SNES), and SaGa Frontier(PSX).
Old 09-26-2007, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Video Game Music

Green Hill Zone FTW
Old 09-26-2007, 11:55 PM

The video game pianist has a lot of good covers of FF6 on his website. His piano version of Suteki da Ne from FFX gives me a boner like 30% of the time.

Also, <3 Kefka's theme.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:18 AM

Maybe I'm a totally lame Nintendo fanboi, but Koji Kondo's stuff from the Legend of Zelda (Zelda Overworld theme FTW) is what sprang to my mind when I read the OP.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:42 AM

You guys should check out The Advantage. They do live band versions of Nintendo songs.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:43 AM

How can you not love Hymn of the Faeyth, supposed a friend of a friend made his music group in HS warm up to that song.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:11 AM

Koji Kondo (everything Nintendo) and Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy/etc) both do some great stuff. Nobuo's work on Blue Dragon is incredible. But I think alot of the music's charm has to do with the game immersion and feeling it creates in the games. Not sure I'd fancy it outside of them.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:21 AM

Quake II and Dead Rising are a couple games that come to mind with some sweet ass music. Halo 2 had a pretty good song by Breaking Benjamin ("Blow It Away") and Psi-Ops (Xbox/PS2 game) had a great song by Cold called "With My Mind."

I'm not as much of a fan of old school video game music (although some of the Doom stuff is still fun for the nostalgia value) but those games def have some good modern-style rock music.