Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 07:56 AM

Default A solution for Iraq

Given the absolutely incompetent and badly planned running of the war in Iraq, it is now obvious, to most US citizens and, definitely, to most of the rest of the world, that the Iraq war has turned into a quagmire, of their own making, for the US. This is another loss, on top o,f Korea, Bay of pigs - Cuba, Vietnam as well as afew lesser obvious ones.

Now, it seems that the US has a problem with face saving which really prevents them from accepting peace negotiations.

My suggestion, s that UN accepts and passes a tariff to be applicable on all goods manufactured in, and services originating from, the US. This to be collected by recipient countries and remitted to the UN for peace making effort and re building of Iraq. The US could save some face by saying they were forced by the rest of the world, Iraq would benefit immensely and many of its current problems rooted in economics and the inept US led intervention, would disappear, the rest of the world would feel safer, and it is fair. Whoever is responsible pays, in this instance the US economy. It may even be better to make all members of the coalition of the willing to pay in proportion of their contribution, that still would leave the bulk of reparation to the US.

Seems eminently reasonable, democratic and fair to me, yet somehow I think the US and other nations that may get caught in the same net, for Iraq or other incursions, would object!

PS I suggest the tariffs be set so that they compare with the real current yearly cost of the war in Iraq!
Old 10-13-2007, 11:00 AM

Default Re: A solution for Iraq

You think the UN should do some stuff so the US can save face? Why cater to our delusions?
Old 10-13-2007, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given the absolutely incompetent and badly planned running of the war in Iraq, it is now obvious, to most US citizens and, definitely, to most of the rest of the world, that the Iraq war has turned into a quagmire, of their own making, for the US. This is another loss, on top o,f Korea, Bay of pigs - Cuba, Vietnam as well as afew lesser obvious ones.

Now, it seems that the US has a problem with face saving which really prevents them from accepting peace negotiations.

My suggestion, s that UN accepts and passes a tariff to be applicable on all goods manufactured in, and services originating from, the US. This to be collected by recipient countries and remitted to the UN for peace making effort and re building of Iraq. The US could save some face by saying they were forced by the rest of the world, Iraq would benefit immensely and many of its current problems rooted in economics and the inept US led intervention, would disappear, the rest of the world would feel safer, and it is fair. Whoever is responsible pays, in this instance the US economy. It may even be better to make all members of the coalition of the willing to pay in proportion of their contribution, that still would leave the bulk of reparation to the US.

Seems eminently reasonable, democratic and fair to me, yet somehow I think the US and other nations that may get caught in the same net, for Iraq or other incursions, would object!

PS I suggest the tariffs be set so that they compare with the real current yearly cost of the war in Iraq!

[/ QUOTE ]

You would be better off coming up with an ingenious, taxable/tariff applicable business built around the utilization of empty shipping containers. Then you would actually be able to generate some revenue.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Iraq would benefit immensely and many of its current problems rooted in economics and the inept US led intervention, would disappear

[/ QUOTE ]
Hahahahaha
Old 10-13-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Better solution: elect Ron Paul, get the [censored] out of Iraq, screw saving face and screw stupid tariffs.

(About the tariff: tariffs are bad both economically and bad for freedom, so I'm not sure why that should be an option. If it's reparations that we are worried about, restitution can and should be given in a way that doesn't involve tariffs, and should focus on high-ranking pro-war US officials being held accountable for their actions).
Old 10-13-2007, 09:36 PM

The solution is to just leave. At some point this will happen, it might as well be now.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Better solution: elect Ron Paul, get the [censored] out of Iraq, screw saving face and screw stupid tariffs.

(About the tariff: tariffs are bad both economically and bad for freedom, so I'm not sure why that should be an option. If it's reparations that we are worried about, restitution can and should be given in a way that doesn't involve tariffs, and should focus on high-ranking pro-war US officials being held accountable for their actions).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron Paul will give us tariffs too, will he not?