Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 06:15 AM

Default Re: i am an embarrassment

why dont you just get in with your friends with the bot factory. Apparently they do well with rakeback
Old 10-02-2007, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nation i always thought you were older, why do you want to make some this kind of committment to anything at 23, just enjoy your time at the moment and get by.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah really. Way back in 2003 when I was 23 I thought Chris Moneymaker was the best player in the world. I played $5 SNGs on Paradise and worked at FedEx. And now look at me, I play 100 NL for a living!

Balla.

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw i'm 23, just got a job as a sharepoint developer/consultant, and am getting paid 65k (associates degree as well.) I have no idea why people think there is a strong correlation between level of education and earning potential (If this were the case all PHD's would be millionaires.)

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a proven fact that the higher level of education you have completed the more on average your earning potential.Obviously there are exceptions but maybe if you had a college degree you would understand this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus, could you be any more condescending?

There are diminishing returns to higher level education, for salary it goes something like

BA >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>> HS diploma

MA >>>>>>>> BA

PhD and MA are pretty close in salary...sometimes > sometimes < depending on the field

Obviously professional degree money (JD, MBA, MD) >>>>> every other degree

it also depends on what type of PhD...a PhD in chemistry and you're making 6 figures in the pharma industry...a PhD in English lit and you are working at Starbucks earning $7/hr writing the next great American novel.

I dropped out of a top 5 gradschool with a scholarship and I pulled in 6 figures last year...my cohort is doing paid internships on Capitol Hill in DC making like 20k a year eating ramen noodles.

And finally, money is not the most important thing...quality of life is paramount, imo and an advanced degree doesn't buy you that. Who cares if some corporate lawyer is making 300k if they work 100 hour weeks and never see their kids?

[/ QUOTE ]

good post.

trip deserved your tone also b/c he was being a condescending deuchebag.

but, in reality, the first line in his post (bolded) is definitely correct. if he stopped after "obviously there are exceptions" it would have been perfectly correct.

Barron
Old 10-02-2007, 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol i think i spend like 8k/month not including travel expenses for poker... just between apartment, car, health insurance, food, entertainment... i dont see how 3k is a lot unless you live somewhere with very cheap rent.

[/ QUOTE ]

movie out of the cities that charge you $1500 a month for an efficiency and you might realize the savings
Old 10-02-2007, 06:44 PM

You are gonna hate life if you come back to poker because you feel that you have to. Three days in you'll be taking smoke/coffee breaks every 10 minutes and quitting for the day the moment you are up 2 BIs.

You'll be a lot more productive and work a lot better if you get your motivation back. If I were you I'd solicit suggestions to achieve this end.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nation, sorry but none of this sounds like a good idea. You've got what...6 months living expenses in the bank and you're burnt out from poker and the solution is to play an insane amount of poker? That just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

So let's say you make your monthly nut from doing this...now what? Are you going to do it again? You're burntout from poker, the solution should not be more poker.

If you really are burntout and worried about money, get a job (seriously), a real job with career prospects and take some real time off poker. Then gradually reintroduce it by playing parttime and if you still love it go pro again in a year or two.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct, though I disagree a little with the last part. There's no need to plan on getting back in to poker. This may or may not happen, but there's no need to put that extra pressure on yourself.

You should follow Gildwulf's advice, but I know you're not going to, at least not yet. You're not ready, because you don't yet recognize the simple truth that you are done with poker, at least for now. So I will give you this advice: be aware that Gildwulf may be right, and that you may realize this soon. Then, when the time comes, you will be ready to make positive changes in your life. The most important thing to avoid is denial about your situation. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:59 PM

I know you think I'm in denial, but the simple fact is I had no real desire to play or worry about my financial situation until the past few weeks. For the first time in awhile, I'm excited to play poker at the beginning of the day. I think it's inevitable that poker becomes a grind. Any job is like that.

If at some point I find myself actively disliking poker, I won't hesitate to go back to school.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:05 PM

btw I think you will play infinatly better when the money means more to you (I know I play a hell of a lot better whilst taking shots)
Old 10-02-2007, 10:10 PM

MMMMMMMMMMMM! RETIREMENT!
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! MUSH!
Old 10-02-2007, 10:26 PM

OP, in order to break out of your complacency you need to dedicatedly remove yourself from circumstances which make the situation worse. While it's all good to set out to do these things and post about it, what you really should do is set a schedule for yourself.

1) Wake up early in the morning and play basketball or tennis (start your day off positively).

2) Keep your sessions going as long as your interest doesn't wane, and try to keep them distraction free.

3) If poker is your main source of income, but you have good friends you want to keep that are outside of the poker loop, don't alienate yourself from positive people in your life. If you make time to spend with them every week, it can only help your situation.

Good luck to you.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:40 PM

quick update: ran really bad at 6-max and went on like a 3k "downswing". i posted a lot of the hands and most of them were coolers or tough spots. took a few weeks off, down to 8k life savings after rent and bills, and decided if i'm going to make my stand at making it as a pro, i might as well do it at full ring because that's where i've made the most money.

all is at 1/2 no limit full ring, plus another 1k in rb.

edit: in ur thread resizin ur image