Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2006, 10:25 PM

Default Push Logic (Warning: Longish & rambling)

Ok guys, this is somewhat of a stream of confusion and a bunch of questions, so if you're one of the "tl;dr" type of repliers, stop reading here and save your keystrokes.

I have read HOH 1 & 2, but I am still not clear on what to do when your M's are in the yellow/orange zone. Red is easy, push with every hand.

Similarily, a recent article by Mark Vos (see http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/proLessons.php?lesson=70 )advises that when you get down to 8 to 10 big blinds (M of 6 to 8?) you should push your stack in situations you feel you can steal the pot.

I assume you do this with all your hands, good and bad, to disguise what your hand is?

What do you guys prefer 8 or 10xBB? Or is better to think in terms of M's?

If so, what is the target M range? What do you do when you get back up to 11? Do you revert back to a 3xBB raise?

What is the cusp for stopping the all-in move?

It seems like when your going above and below the cusp, your walking a tightrope where you may let a hand in that can call your smaller raise and then move you off your hand in later action only to realize he would have never called had you just pushed in the first place.

Won't your opponents perceive your allin moves as weaker hands and possibly call you with lesser hand values? Or is the point that your stack is big enough that only the very best hands will call you, except perhaps a looser player who understands this stratedgy and has a deep stack.

I assume your steals consider who is left to act and if there was a player like I mentioned above left to act, then the push/steal would be a bad play.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, I don't know how to express my question/confusion more concisely except to ask for a more in depth discussion of when & why to push and when/why you should stop pushing.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-24-2006, 10:40 PM

Default Re: Push Logic (Warning: Longish & rambling)

How fast are the blinds going up?
Are you prepared to give up a money finish for a chance to Final table?
How many pushes are being called at the Table?

All this and more needs to be considered - and you need to get lucky. When Mark won his WSOP tourney he won about 4 all ins when he was the underdog pre flop.
I'm not a big fan of UTG pushes with Air - 9 players with even a 3% chance of picking up a calling hand = 27% of being a significant dog.
Wait for middle/late position and hope no one pulls the trigger first

cheers and go Aussies at the WSOP