Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2006, 05:00 PM

Default stars 1 mil - KK in EP

This is the 7th hand or so of this game. This is villain's 1st time he's played a pot. I think I recognize him (sandow - does anyone know him?) but I have no PT stats on him. I suspect he's a fairly good player.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

Hero (t2500)
UTG+1 (t3250)
MP1 (t2440)
MP2 (t2420)
MP3 (t2470)
CO (t2450)
Button (t2620)
SB (t1880)
BB (t2460)

Preflop: Hero is in UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Hero raises to t60</font>, UTG+1 calls t60, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, MP2 calls t60, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, CO calls t60, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, BB calls t40

Flop: (t310) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5 players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t220</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="red">MP2 raises to t640</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, Hero calls t420 (who pushes here?)

Turn: (t1590) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero ?</font>

What's the plan now?
Old 07-23-2006, 09:41 PM

Default Re: stars 1 mil - KK in EP

c'mon 38 views and no one has an opinion?

bump
Old 07-23-2006, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the 7th hand or so of this game. This is villain's 1st time he's played a pot. I think I recognize him (sandow - does anyone know him?) but I have no PT stats on him. I suspect he's a fairly good player.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

Hero (t2500)
UTG+1 (t3250)
MP1 (t2440)
MP2 (t2420)
MP3 (t2470)
CO (t2450)
Button (t2620)
SB (t1880)
BB (t2460)

Preflop: Hero is in UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Hero raises to t60</font>, UTG+1 calls t60, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, MP2 calls t60, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, CO calls t60, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, BB calls t40

Flop: (t310) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5 players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t220</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="red">MP2 raises to t640</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, Hero calls t420 (who pushes here?)

Turn: (t1590) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero ?</font>

What's the plan now?

[/ QUOTE ]

What a rotten position. Can you put him on anything but a set? maybe 10,10. AND Maybe he is putting a play on you....with the rag flop. though that is pretty agressive with the stacks where they are.
btw, I have taken to raiseing a big pair UTG a bit more lately in tourneys, too many limpers at 3xBB early level.
oh, the plan.....crap....is it worth paying off a set? I go into the tank on this one.....someone calls the clock, someone calls the floor, I call my mommy, screw it, I pushh and hope he has TPTK.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:06 PM

Well, that flop action looks pretty strong. Given the PF action I think the hands you beat on the flop that might take a line like this: TT, JJ, 98, 87. (EDIT: If he's sufficiently nutty I guess AJ, AQ and AK are possibilities as well.) So that T really blows on the turn. So, I like a check/fold. I just don't see a lot of plausible second best hands that he can have at this point if he continues to show strength.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:17 PM

Fold!

Fi is either on a straight, 2 pair or set. As I understand you till have 1600 chips left? That’s enough to keep you in the game. You are probably beaten on the flopp. You don't have to worry about your stack for a while.

Without tells on Fi it's a chech/fold every day of the week!
Old 07-23-2006, 11:39 PM

unfortunately, i think you have to fold this turn.

hyde is also correct, as you probably need to be raising a bit more pf at this blind level. i like 80 or 100 here, and i think you'll find that you still get a fair amount of callers...
Old 07-23-2006, 11:44 PM

I think I'm probably letting the Kings go to the reraise on the flop, definitely not putting any more money in on the turn. Pocket pairs in 5 way pots go way down in value on the flop if they dont make trips, particularly this flop.

As a side note, I played with Sandow a couple of times recently and he seems pretty solid. You're probably beat on the flop, definitely on the turn.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the replys. I did check/fold the turn, but I hated the whole hand afterwards.

I play mostly STTs and a 3x bb open bet is standard (and usually effective) for me in levels 1 to 3 - even at way lower buyin games. I was surprised to get that many callers preflop in a higher buyin game. Apparently that isnt so unusual in an MTT?

Im curious what other 2+2ers standard raises are UTG in level 1 of an MTT?

I got comments from a couple good players on aim that said they'd push the flop. I was starting to think I was too much of a nit here, but maybe my post-flop line was reasonable based on the replys in this thread.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I play mostly STTs and a 3x bb open bet is standard (and usually effective) for me in levels 1 to 3 - even at way lower buyin games. I was surprised to get that many callers preflop in a higher buyin game. Apparently that isnt so unusual in an MTT?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, my experiance in STT's is that a 3xBB bet is sufficient.
Yes, MTT's are different. there are more speculators, especially in the early levels.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:50 PM

preflop raise needs to be bigger - good price for anyone with a pair or even an ace to take your $$. 5x minimum if u are on a loose table.
As played i fold and live to fight another day.
Deeper stacks may make a case for a re-raise on the flop to make sure he isn't on a steal?
This type of situation keeps me awake at night - are u going to fold an overpair to a raise everytime? Or are you going to payoff a set everytime.
HOH3 says raise more but don't payoff when they hit - all we need now is flag that pops up on the screen to indicate they've hit!!