Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2006, 12:41 PM

Default General Small Stakes Question

I typically play micro no limit on-line ($25 and $50 tables). However, thanks to Congress, I'm starting to play more live low limit (3-6, 5-10). Any good posts here I can reference for getting started? Any general advice on switching from micro no limit to small stakes limit?

My impression in the few sessions I have played is that people call raised pots PF with very marginal hands (A-10 suited, KJ), and will call all the way to the river with any piece of the flop even bottom pair and inside straight draws. Maybe it's my no limit sensibilities, but this still seems like the wrong way to play.

Sorry there is no specific question here. I'm just looking to get started. Thanks for indulging my ignorance on this new topic for me.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:57 PM

Default Re: General Small Stakes Question

So where are you playing live poker? Just wondering.

Read SSH (Small Stakes Hold'em). Best place to start.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:05 PM

I will add that to my library. Thanks, Trip.

We have some questionably legal tournaments (to benefit charity...) with a lot of side action here in Ohio. Also, I've been making my way to Caesar's Indiana, which is about four hours. Argosy, also in Indiana, just opened a poker room, so I'm headed down to check that out this weekend. It's about a two hour drive.

An add on question, I have played live 1-2 nl and did quite well at my only session. Is that a better option, as I am typically more comfortable in a nl environment? It's higher stakes than I'm used to, but wouldn't threaten my roll.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:26 PM

there's probably more money in 1/2 nl live than in 3/6 limit live. if you are comfy and have the roll i say give it a shot and track your results for a while. live 3/6 should be easily beatable (rake aside) if you play solid, tight, value bet, and don't chase too much.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:01 PM

Just a Columbus question.....did that Westerville "charity" game @ the armory move anywhere since the armory closed down last year? It was super fishy and plus I lived about a block away.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:41 PM

Omega-
That game was run by Louis Asmo I believe. He took off and went back to Vegas to play full time from what I understand. A lot of the folks that played and worked at that game have migrated over to Reece's. Did you play in the event at the Convention center? There is another one in Dayton in January.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:01 PM

If the style of play you are used to involves worrying about the A-10's and K-J's staying to the river, then stick to 1-2 NL. In 3-6, you can't bet anyone out of a gut-shot if they are dead set on seeing if they can hit it! 1-2 you can.

When I play 1-2, the worst thing you have to worry about is trapping. Players can limp in with any 2 cards, and hit two ugly pair or something when you have TPTK. That's when I lose money....