Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 03:35 AM

Default Re: Vegas Trip Report Part II (long, mostly poker)

If you can remember in such detail what, and how much, you drank, you didn't drink enough.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Vegas Trip Report (long, mostly poker)

Solid report. But you really need to switch up the beer selection, rotate in a Newcastle here and there.

Swede
Old 03-27-2007, 11:52 PM

So its Friday and we make the move from the Mirage to more comped rooms at New York New York and check Dad and Dean into comped rooms at the Luxor. Wife was also comped tickets to Carrot Top or Fantasy and didn't want to use them so dad and I decided on the topless option. I had low expectations and it turned out to be fairly entertaining so the night started off well. I met up with Andy at the Excalibur and got at his table quickly. The table was fairly decent and I gradually won some chips without any memorable hands. Celeb sighting.. Jose Canseco and his chick and they played some 2/4 limit together but I don't think they stayed long. We made an early night of it and finished around 3:30am +200 or so and +7 sammys. (Trip Total: +$700, 50 Sam Adams, 9shots, 8 Grand Marnier, 3Baileys, 3Caesars, 2Paralyzers)

Saturday: Highlight off the day. Our room has a whirlpool in it so I relax in there for around 2 hours. Wife had more comped tickets, this time to Earth Wind and Fire so we went to Luxor to pick them up and played in that silly little $50 buy in 1/1/2 game where you can rebuy for another $50 once you are at $49 or less. We sat down and I ran well fast. I limped with J8 in the SB and the flop came QT9 and I got a quick double up vs QT. I then stacked the same guy 3 times in 8 hands.
1. He limps on the button after 3 limpers, I raise to $18 in the BB with AQs, get one caller and he pushes for his 50. I saw him do something similar with J9s earlier so I call and he flips over KK. I flop the A and he doesn't improve.
2. Very next hand, 4 limpers, he limps and I limp with Q8. Flop comes 889 with two hearts, I bet 10, get a caller and then he calls. Turn is a K and I don't want to mess around with straight and flush draws so I bet 50, other guy folds and he calls. River is insignificant and he has no problem calling off the rest of his chips with AKs.
3. There are a couple of limpers including this guy and I pop it in the cutoff for $16 with AQs. He calls and the flop came A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I bet $35 and he calls and tells me he is trying to get there, turn no [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] so I bet $50 and he calls, river still no [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] so I put him in for his last $20 and I get called by A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Really bad players go so we head back to the room and I am up $300 and 3 drinks.

Later on Wife and I meet up with Dean and Andy at Excalibur again and after some waiting list/transfer list action Dean, Sandra and I get sat at a 1/3 table together right beside Andy's table. Again the drinks came at a furious pace and we got a couple shooters through to a few of the players at the table. Witnessed a big pot between a couple of guys, one had $650 and the other had about $1K. 1K raises to 15 and gets called by 650. Flop comes K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. 1K bets $50 and gets raised to $100. He makes the call and the turn comes T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] putting a straight out there for any A. 1K checks and guy bets $60 which gets a quick call. River come 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] putting a possible flush out there. 1K checks and guy bets $60. "$260" he says, "all-in", "call" and boom $1300 pot. K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] really wishes he had just called the $60 bet when he gets notched by A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Ouch!

I won a few small pots and then the cards just started mocking me. A loose player raises a straddle to $16 and I pop it to $50 with AKs. A kid who's steaming from a 2-outer decides to call me and everyone else folds. Flop come AJ3 rainbow so I bet $80, and he goes all in for his last $115. I call and he turns over A8 and proceeds to catch his 8 on the river. I get stung a couple more times and then run into this gem. Loose clown min-raises to $6 UTG and gets two callers. I have the lovely AA in the SB and raise it to $28 and I get called by all 3 of them. Flop come 798 with 2 spades, I bet $80, initial raiser goes all in for $200, next guy goes all in for around $400, and the next guy calls the 2 all-ins. I fold and they ALL turn up JT for the flopped nuts. Naturally I folded and was tormented by runner runner boat when A and 9 come on the turn and river in what would have been a $1.2K pot if I call.

My buddy Andy gets a story to tell as Jose Canseco and his chick sit at his 1/3 table. They are right behind me and the table sounds like they are having a good time as Jose donks off around $800 in a short period while his girl finally racks up with about $600 profit. Apparently he liked to play just about every hand and all-in was a frequent phrase in his vocabulary. Some punk was giving him lip so he made an effort to make the kids time at the table especially stressful. Andy was up around $400 so thanks Jose!

Later on I build up a few chips and limp KK UTG because I was almost positive I would get raised by one of the aggressive players behind me. Sure enough, aggro guy raises to $20 and I push like I'm annoyed by the fact that I'm never allowed to limp a hand. Thankfully my bad acting doesn't scare him and he insta-calls with AK and doesn't improve. Fate then treats me like I offended Al_Capone. A very novice yet aggressive guy gets seated to my right with a short stack and starts running over the table a bit with huge preflop raises of $20+ and wins one of his all-ins with A8. He sometimes shows his cards to me and one time after one of his $30 raises gets bounced for $200 he deliberates and finally folds his Q8o. So the next time he raises he pops it to $50 and I raise him another $50 with AKs which gets instacalled and I lose to his 88. Shortly after he takes the rest of my stack when he limps utg and I raise to $22 with AA. He calls and the flop comes K55 with a flush draw. He bets $20 and since I have seen him commit all his chips with top pair no kicker and flush draws numerous times (he would have raised A5 or KK and I didn't think he would call a raise with some other 5), I raise it up to $80. He pushes, I call and he turns over the monster that is 85o. I can take no more and finish the night around 6:30am -$300. +12SA and a couple of shooters.(Trip Total: +$400, +62 Sam Adams, 11shots, 8Grand Marnier, 3Baileys, 3Caesars, 2Paralyzers).
Old 03-28-2007, 02:51 AM

Good TR, why the Sam Adams obsession?
Old 03-28-2007, 12:30 PM

I'm pretty sure I had a corona at some point but I was too embarrassed to include it. I'm all about consistency.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:37 PM

The final installment.

I get very little sleep but Wife, Dad, the kids and I head to the Barbary Coast in the hot Vegas sun to catch the shuttle to The Orleans for some bowling. When we get there at 2:30pm we find out that all the lanes are taken up for leagues and won't be available until 6pm. Strike one. Ok, so we see the signs up for a magic show that looks like it would be great for the kids that starts at 4pm, cool. The boys want to play at the huge daycare center they have so we drop them off and I throw my name on the long waiting list for poker. I mean REALLY long, since I am about 20 deep and all the dealers are busy working a tournament. Strike 2.

After I finally get seated I call a small raise with QJs in the BB after a couple of callers. Flop comes KT5 rainbow so I checkraise a weak $10 bet that the other two players folded to, up to $40 after which he goes all in and I have to fold. I get moved to another table right after that hand and continue to get pummelled. Once again when I raise a draw and get pounded out of the pot, and another time where I have a draw and get checkraised out of my seat after I called a flop bet and then fired at the turn when it was checked to me. I didnt do so well with draws. I didnt do so well with AA either as it got outflopped twice although I did manage to check a street each time to keep the size of the pots manageable. Ordeal at the Orleans, -$300 +4 Sammys. (+$100, +66 Sam Adams, 11shots, 8 Grand Marnier, 3Baileys, 3Caesars, 2Paralyzers)

While I am playing I am informed that the magic show doesn't start until Monday, Strike 3, foiled again. That was where the strikes stopped however because I am NOT a good bowler. The kids eat at Subway and we head off to bowling. My score was 17 after the first 3 frames and I am getting crushed by my 5 and 4 year olds who have the benefit of those cool gutter-bumper thingies. I pull it together and finish with 137 and get bragging rights over the boys but Wife nails a 138 since I can't manage to get that extra ball in the 10th frame. Me and my 5yr old go at it again as Mom gloats in victory. We get home around 8:30, the ladies go hit the slots and I play playstation with the boys. They don't get back till almost 12 so I forgo the pokering and get some sleep.

Monday: Wake up refreshed, and watch Return of the Jedi with the boys (big Star Wars fans at the moment and love Lego Star Wars on Playstation). By the end of the movie I notice from the window that one of the cars on the top of the parking garage is smoking at bit. A couple of people show interest and it looks like they are using their cell phones to notify someone. I dont pay a lot of attention to it but a little later it is smoking more and then flames start to rise out of the hood. A couple of NYNY suits apply some extinguishers to it but they back out quick since it must be pretty hot and it didnt look like the extinguishers were doing much good. Now the flames start coming out a little higher. There was a small explosion and the flames are really noticeable now. I hear the fire engines so we pull some chairs up to the windows to watch the show. Flames spread to the car on the left and get it going a bit but then the wind changes and the flames spread to the car on the right. Fire Dept is there now but it doesnt look like the 8 story parking garage is fire engine friendly so they pull a hose up the side. The original car is nice and crispy now burning from the inside while the car on the right is in full on flames as well. The guys get it done with lotsa powder, water, axes and crowbars opening up windows/hoods/doors. Some reporters, some more suits and some satisfied fire dudes shaking hands and calling it done. They pack up and then it looks like the car owners/renters are checking things out and making calls. How inconvenient to have your car explode while you are vacationing in Vegas. I also feel sorry for the people in line for the NYNY roller coaster who probably had to wait over an hour since the track went right by the fire.

The whole crew Wife, kids, Mom, Dad, and Dean went to the rainforest cafe at the MGM which the kids always dig and I had some delicious steak and shrimp. Dad and Dean rented a car and left for Arizona and I hopped in the poker room for a few hours. Ran poorly at first, but rebought and ended up around 100 before the weak players were mostly gone and the table was getting tough. Hung out at the room and put the boys to bed and when wife and Mom got back from the slots, wife and I head over to the Excalibur. I had run horribly there for the most part and this session started off no different. I fail to hit flops, make draws, or bluff successfully and have to add $100 to my stack a couple of times. Then two big hands I took a beating on.. I have QQ and I pop a $12 raise up to $40 and get three callers. The flop comes J85 with two spades and I go all in for $160 and get called in two places. First guy had KJ and the other has 76 for an open ended straight draw. Donkey with KJ spikes a K on the river and I go ahead and rebuy. A little later I call a $12 raise with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and 4 of us see a flop. The flop is a beautiful Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] giving me the open ended straight flush draw. Raiser leads for 35, gets 1 caller and I push for about 120 more. Fold, Fold, and some sheriff makes a hero call with T9 since he thought I was bluffing. I dont catch any of my 21 outs (Any King, Jack, Ace, 9, or any heart) and have to rebuy again. Fortunately I actually win a few hands when I am a favorite after that (sheriff keeps making hero calls and goes from $1K to broke) and end up cashing out for $800 and a monster profit of $200 and +8SA. (Grand Trip Total: +$400, +74 Sam Adams, 11shots, 8 Grand Marnier, 3Baileys, 3Caesars, 2Paralyzers).

I was fairly happy with the trip, although I did expect to win a little more $. The rooms were all fine (the one at NY NY was a little loud because of the roller coaster) and a good time was had by all. It was fun keeping track of the drinks and interesting to find out just how much $ I take off the table in drink tips for a trip. I've already booked flights for June!