Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 12:30 AM

Default Razz trny advice, please

There were 136 people in this trny and the first hour I was so card dead I only played 4 hands out of 46 hands, folded on one 4th, won the other three only because the other guy was a complete idiot.

So, I manage to stay in, get into the money, 14 players are left when I lose half my stack in one of those rotten suck out hands, and am the short stack - get back up a little so I'm 13th in a 14 person trny and this happens.

I am only posting this to have you all confirm I am the dumbest, nittiest, most idiotic tournament player you've ever seen for folding 3rd. I shoulda raised. Right? This is one of those "What the heck was I thinking?!" hands.

Tournament - Razz - Level XV (2,000/4,000), Ante 400, Bring-In 600 (converter)

Seat 1: 37,605
Seat 2: 26,109
Seat 3: 29,204
Seat 4: 22,490
Seat 6: 37,599
Hero: 13,765
Seat 8: 33,913

3rd Street - (1.40 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises

Total pot: (1.70 SB)
Old 10-23-2007, 12:36 AM

Default Re: Razz trny advice, please

Uh, what? There are 3 low cards yet to act, why would youu want to bet here? If there was 1 I raise every time, 2, I'd raise quite often a cash game, 3, almost never in either situation.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Uh, what? There are 3 low cards yet to act, why would youu want to bet here? If there was 1 I raise every time, 2, I'd raise quite often a cash game, 3, almost never in either situation.

[/ QUOTE ] Go up and look at the stack sizes vs the limits and antes. That's why.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:10 AM

You have like 30 antes. As soon as you get involved in a hand you have 3bb. I'd wait for better position if not a better hand.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:22 AM

It's hardly time to panic. There are too many good low cards behind you to consider playing this dog.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:10 AM

Wait for a better position and better hand.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's hardly time to panic. There are too many good low cards behind you to consider playing this dog.

[/ QUOTE ] Well, I guess if everyone agrees, I am wrong. My end game in trnys is really in need of work, tho.' I am constantly getting deep or making a final table and then it seems to come apart. Or maybe my expectations are unrealistic.

So, out of a hundred tournaments, how often do you expect to win if you are playing at the same level of competence as your competition?
Old 10-23-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Well, I guess if everyone agrees, I am wrong. My end game in trnys is really in need of work, tho.' I am constantly getting deep or making a final table and then it seems to come apart. Or maybe my expectations are unrealistic.

So, out of a hundred tournaments, how often do you expect to win if you are playing at the same level of competence as your competition?

[/ QUOTE ]
Depends on how many runners there are, if you're talking about first place or final 3. The best measure is your ROI (return on investment) if you're scoring by how much money you make b/c a lot of the prize pool is concentrated in the top spots so players who win once in a while may come out ahead of those who cash on a more regular basis. These stats usually take a lot of tournaments to converge on your true ROI, but you can still seek advice on how well you play in certain spots and if it's correct it will certainly improve your results in the long run.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:15 PM

I think good players win first place about 1/3 of the time. Nah, just kidding. Have you really played 100?
Old 10-23-2007, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Depends on how many runners there are, if you're talking about first place or final 3.

[/ QUOTE ]
First. I want to be first in something besides a Sit n Go. I keep thinking I must play badly when I get up there, but maybe it's just like NLHE, at a final table you really are subject to really big stacks and really high limits. Now I think I should get over myself. I've only been playing Razz since about a week or so before I joined this forum. Here I am complaining because I'm not tossing Runninice off a final table.

You'd think a Razz player would have more patience.

[ QUOTE ]
I think good players win first place about 1/3 of the time. Nah, just kidding. Have you really played 100?

[/ QUOTE ]Over, actually, but that includes NLHE. I've probably played 25-30 Razz trny's from $1 to $10. Tens are the best, best players, easiest to cash in for me. The $5 is good, too, or used to be until everybody decided to be the Gus Hansen of Razz. I don't like FT tourny's, tho' come to think of it, I have cashed in a few. But there's too much gamble when the limits go up so fast.

I was just remembering Allen Cunningham, I think it was, saying he once went 18 months without even cashing in a trny. I just hate busting out. I always think I must have screwed up somewhere. Maybe next time I'll post my last few critical hands and everyone can give me some perspective, I don't seem to have any.