Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 11-12-2007, 12:55 AM

Default QQ - what to do with this flop and this raise?

This raise seems like a K for sure....or at least he manipulated me quite well. Do you call here?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t150/t300
(Ante: t25)
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: t9232
UTG+1: t16250
MP1: t12837
MP2: t17866
MP3: t14280
CO: t1570
Button: t3195
SB: t9133
BB: t4422

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t900</font>, 2 folds, MP2 calls t900 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t1575)</font>, 5 folds.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t2475, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t1500</font>, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 raises to t3000</font>, Hero?
Old 11-12-2007, 01:06 AM

Default Re: QQ - what to do with this flop and this raise?

I think you bet too much on the flop, which makes your decision that much harder when he min-raises. I think 900 could accomplish what you want without looking like a blatant bluff. Any reads on villain would be nice. Its tough, but I think this is a push or fold, no calls OOP.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you bet too much on the flop, which makes your decision that much harder when he min-raises. I think 900 could accomplish what you want without looking like a blatant bluff. Any reads on villain would be nice. Its tough, but I think this is a push or fold, no calls OOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, true but doesn't smaller bet also let him come in with a mediocre draw and give me the same problem on the turn?
Old 11-12-2007, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the flop bet size is fine. I might even bet a little more, if i decided to lead here. Is any decent villain going to believe that u would only bet 1/3 of the pot with AK;KQ; or even KK here? You're not trying to induce here, since a raise is going to be tough to call. He's deep and he could be min-raising with a PP, thinking that you're c-betting AQ;AJ. FWIW, i don't think checking this flop is that bad, since your never going to fold out a K.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:20 AM

My mistake, got confused when you put the pot-size before MP2's call. The flop bet is fine.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:36 AM

RonFez,

Your line looks very strong (UTG raise, 2/3 pot). Unless you have some notion or read that MP is trying to "bully" with his stack or is "playing back" at you this is a pretty standard fold.

Most of the time he has K, sometimes it A7 or a flush draw, but its also a set a lot of the time too. What type of plays would the guy make with each of these hands?

Against big stack unknowns it is also ok to just check/evaluate on flop. If you get much pressue, *shrug* next hand.

Jarid
Old 11-12-2007, 02:46 AM

I'd probably check the flop.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:58 AM

Thanks all. Seems the consensus here is to make the bet that I made and fold (which I did) or just check/evaluate.

I've seen this type of hand cost me too much too often...I think check/evaluate is a better line.

If villain can bluff at the pot on flop after I check, well i guess that's why position is so important and nh sir.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:55 AM

Whats your play if the flops a rainbow with a king?
Old 11-12-2007, 06:43 PM

u cant check evaluate on this flop because u check he bets what info do u gain? do u then decide he's on a flush draw and shove? lol. bet/fold is best IMO. u've raised utg so he prob gives u a tight range, so if he had a flush draw the last thing he wants to do is reopen betting so you can reshove him off his draw. looks like a set to me. ppl have some weird tendency to kp thinking ppl have flush draws in these spots and i dont really know why because this is a horrible way to play a flush draw especially given your stack. it's like giving you maximum fold equity if you push and giving you a nice chunk of his stack too. put urself in his perspective. u look ultra strong to him yet he still min raises u so he can put u all in with a nice pot bet on the turn. muck