Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Bin
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 01:33 AM

Default Re: Daniel\'s book - Sold Out

I also believe Mason's statement about needing Negreanu to sell more books is foolish, and I've read this entire thread. Let's say 200,000 copies have been sold of HOH1 - if the book were only $15, should we expect that 400,000 copies have been sold? No, because the market has shown so far that only 200,000 purchasers have wanted a copy, despite it's price.

Ok, so let's take into account that it's "too expensive", thus limiting the sales on the books - does this mean that if HOH1 was suddenly $15 we should expect more copies sold simply because now there is a section of people who can afford it? Not realistically, because anybody who is genuinely interested in purchasing the book will find a way despite a $15 price difference.

True, Mason has a point in the fact that a cheaper book will have book stores buy more copies and in turn put more on the shelves, but this does *NOT* translate to a higher number of sales - how often do you have to go from bookstore to bookstore looking for a copy of Harrington on Hold' Em because it is sold out?

I rest my case; I can see why Mason would say something like that, but in the end it boils down to Mason trying to equate price with quality, and quality simply isn't something you can place a number value on, especially since what is quality to man A is incomprehensible to man B, and so forth.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:44 AM

Hi sublyme:

[ QUOTE ]
how often do you have to go from bookstore to bookstore looking for a copy of Harrington on Hold' Em because it is sold out?

[/ QUOTE ]

This was an interesting aspect of Harrington I. When it first appeared the reception was so positive that it not only quickly sold out, but the replacement orders also quickly sold out, and so on. Because of it's success, the initial orders for our future books were up, as is shown by the numbers I gave. So unknown to most of you, the Harrington books, and in particular Harrington I had a significant impact on not only our company, but the whole poker book business as well.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 03-13-2007, 10:33 AM

I know nothing about the book business. But am I misunderstanding, or are people saying in this thread that there is zero price elasticity for poker books?
Old 03-13-2007, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know nothing about the book business. But am I misunderstanding, or are people saying in this thread that there is zero price elasticity for poker books?

[/ QUOTE ]

Within a specific market accepted range, its nearly inelastic since its a semi-closed market.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also believe Mason's statement about needing Negreanu to sell more books is foolish, and I've read this entire thread. Let's say 200,000 copies have been sold of HOH1 - if the book were only $15, should we expect that 400,000 copies have been sold? No, because the market has shown so far that only 200,000 purchasers have wanted a copy, despite it's price.

Ok, so let's take into account that it's "too expensive", thus limiting the sales on the books - does this mean that if HOH1 was suddenly $15 we should expect more copies sold simply because now there is a section of people who can afford it? Not realistically, because anybody who is genuinely interested in purchasing the book will find a way despite a $15 price difference.

True, Mason has a point in the fact that a cheaper book will have book stores buy more copies and in turn put more on the shelves, but this does *NOT* translate to a higher number of sales - how often do you have to go from bookstore to bookstore looking for a copy of Harrington on Hold' Em because it is sold out?

I rest my case; I can see why Mason would say something like that, but in the end it boils down to Mason trying to equate price with quality, and quality simply isn't something you can place a number value on, especially since what is quality to man A is incomprehensible to man B, and so forth.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but unless you are in the business of selling publishing book or you have access to some amazing statics, it is impossible for you to know how big of an IMPACT 15 dollars is.

Maybe 15 dollars would be a big difference. For instance, lets say your in high school and you ask your parents for money. From personal experience, it is much easier to ask for a $20 for a book than asking for $35.

The point im trying to make is that only Mason and others in the publishing company really know how much price matters, and most likely your just purely speculating.

Also if you dont think 15 dollars can make a difference look at the sales prices (retail) of videos from 1985 to 2002.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:52 PM

This thread should be stickied in the Publishing forum, we have the top poker 'name' (I dont intend that as a putdown for Daniel in one bit) and the top poker publisher discussing subjects in great deal- in addition we have some of the best comments in NVG from 'normal' 2+2ers of the [ast year or so.
On SS2 I think im with Mason, I ordered the book for the O8 section and was impressed- Id like to know what Mason had to do with it! (afer the thinly veiled brag) although I must confss I didnt read Daniels section becuae I had no interest in learning the game (which is possibly why its so 'underrated')
Quite frankly I feel celerity endorsements will be far less vital in the next few years- with comprehensive and accurate reviews from the pubic avalable online for anyone to see, even the WPT fan is unlikely to buy a book that sucks; even if its endorsed by the curent superstar.
2+2 seems to be going down an interesting road- in the next couple of months they are releasing books written by Stox and RayZee (or at least co written) both these guys have clout and huge hgue respect within the community but are probably unheard of outside the 2+2 'scene'. I presume they are paying these guys large % of cash not because they are a big name buy because they know there books will be stunning; but will they sell as much as Chans limit book?
Old 03-14-2007, 08:25 PM

Hi Shadowrun:

There's also a little more evidence. It's the price of Negreanu's book itself. I'm sure if his publisher thought as many copies would be sold at $30 as at $15, it would be priced at $30.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 03-14-2007, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Shadowrun:

There's also a little more evidence. It's the price of Negreanu's book itself. I'm sure if his publisher thought as many copies would be sold at $30 as at $15, it would be priced at $30.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]
He possibly wasnt ready for the variance at the higher stakes.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Econ 101. In a competitive market economy, people purchase a given amount at a given price. And a different amount at a different price. The quant/price cross for this product at $30 seems to be at 200k copies right now. At $15 I can guarantee you the amount of copies sold would be more than 200k (assuming more than 200k have been printed and assuming there are more than 200k literate poker players).

When using the argument "Despite its price" you are showing an opposite correlation (def of despite is "in spite of"). As in, it sold 500k copies DESPITE ITS HIGH PRICE.... or it didn't sell at all despite its price of $2.

Your argument is essentially that if the book were priced at $5 (or 15) not one single person more would have bought the book. Not even close to the truth. I haven't bought the book. At $5 or $15 I would buy it right this instant.