Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Is this standard? (being banned from a private cardroom)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When one of the owners (another owner already knew that) found out that we were friends he didn’t seem too thrilled and next time told me and him not to come:/

[/ QUOTE ]
So he tosses you because you're tight, but he tosses your donkey friend too? Any chance he thinks you're colluding?

[/ QUOTE ]

based on the last sentence in the post above yours, yes.

If the two of you have played several times and he is just now finding out you know each other outside his game, he's probably suspicious that you were colluding him, or something else rubbed him the wrong way.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When one of the owners (another owner already knew that) found out that we were friends he didn’t seem too thrilled and next time told me and him not to come:/

[/ QUOTE ]
So he tosses you because you're tight, but he tosses your donkey friend too? Any chance he thinks you're colluding?

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is all on the up and up, I think it has to do with the friend.

This might also be a private game, amongst buds, but not necesarily a private cardroom(more open to new players regardless of skill). The former might have something to do with you playing tight along with maybe being too serious at the table if they want to keep it light.

b
Old 08-17-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This might also be a private game, amongst buds, but not necesarily a private cardroom(more open to new players regardless of skill). The former might have something to do with you playing tight along with maybe being too serious at the table if they want to keep it light.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Bernie. As far as having a good reason in a private game it doesn't matter why they don't want you to play as others have said.

Jimbo
Old 08-17-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From the description, the friend at least knows how to "give action" every so often. OP may not.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

based on the last sentence in the post above yours, yes.

If the two of you have played several times and he is just now finding out you know each other outside his game, he's probably suspicious that you were colluding him, or something else rubbed him the wrong way.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO it was pretty obvious we were not colluding. We just both played tight and folded a lot of hands. It seemed to me they were very frustrated with my tight play and were annoyed when they entered into pots with me and paid me off:/

One of the two owners knew that I was friends with the guy from day one; we came there together at first, I stopped going for a while and he kept playing and winning. There is no way that my friend does anything shady. He is a novice player who just value bets when he flops sets or has aces.

What rubbed one of the owners wrong way about our friendship it seemed to him that my friend was a winning player and he brought another one with him.

[ QUOTE ]
This might also be a private game, amongst buds, but not necesarily a private cardroom

[/ QUOTE ]

Well they have a lot of freerolls and promotions enticing new players to show up. It seems like a cardroom not a private game
Old 08-17-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What rubbed one of the owners wrong way about our friendship it seemed to him that my friend was a winning player and he brought another one with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know? Did he tell you?
Old 08-17-2007, 02:41 PM

Been involved in many underground games in the NY/NJ area, both as a worker and as a player. This particular occurence isn't common, but doesn't surprise me. These rooms feature loose play geared towards action and shoving as much money around as possible. These players don't like tighties, and neither do the room owners, as they aren't good for business. perhaps they simply think they could fill your seats with more profitable customers.

Also possible they think you are law enforcement, or colluding. Either way, you are likely better off. Brooklyn rooms have a pretty high rate of being shut down in brutal fashion, quickly and painfully. You stand a pretty high risk by continuing to go.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know? Did he tell you?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. However, recently my other friend won 2k in a cash game there. He later said that they really make u feel bad about winning $ in there. I haven’t played much there so I am relying on their opinions. That’s the same impression my friend who got “banned” had as well…that they really don’t like tight winning players there. Which would explain why I haven’t really seen many good players there.

[ QUOTE ]
From the description, the friend at least knows how to "give action" every so often. OP may not.

[/ QUOTE ]

But I played there so few times and was really cold decked:/ I haven’t really had the chance to play there much at all. Would just seem silly to ban a guy cause he played rocky 3-4 times.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:01 PM

Why don't you just ask why you are not welcome anymore?
Old 08-17-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you just ask why you are not welcome anymore?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did. They said It was a private game. It wasn't, they still had the freeroll and a cashgame that day