Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 11:08 AM
 is offline

Default AK hits Tptk, river brings possible flush

villain is 20/10/1.7 over small sample. I`m 18/12/2.8

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB ($21.85)
Hero ($50)
UTG ($61.95)
MP ($47.05)
Button ($44.55)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, UTG calls $2.

Flop: ($5.25) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4.5</font>, UTG calls $4.50.

Turn: ($14.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $9.5</font>, UTG calls $9.50.

River: ($33.25) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Hero ??
Old 09-02-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Re: AK hits Tptk, river brings possible flush

blocking b/f or c/f, most likely your only 2 good options. If you're gonna c/c you may as well bet out and set the price.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:16 AM

That's a nasty river in so many ways. I probably check-fold here, unless he bets small (like less than half pot). I would also bet turn bigger, around $13 seems good.

Dumle
Old 09-02-2007, 11:22 AM

I had this almost EXACT same problem earlier today but in a much much bigger pot. Against a COMPLETE Ax monkey calling station.

Most likely just c/f in a spot like this. That card completed EVERYTHING...
Old 09-02-2007, 11:52 AM
 is offline

Peter, Dumble. I like both your advice. The way I played it it`s a fold I think.

Peter, I think blocking bet/fold is important here, cause if I only check to villain and he is holding an Ace he now has a great bluff oportunity.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:59 AM

instead of bb the river, id raise way more on the turn and c/f the river afterwards when he calls and this card hits.
thing is: because that higher 3 $ on the turn is smaller than a info/block bet on the river which would be min half pot....and...you make more money when he doesnt hit( make him do the biggest mistake when he calls)
then of course its villain specefic, against a call station who overplays his draw i might do pot pot1/2 on the turn who knows

Good luck
Old 09-02-2007, 12:08 PM

I'd make the turn bet a little bigger, maybe about $11.

Man that river card sucks big donkey balls. If he's calling down a weaker K, it's most likely KQ/KJ which hit. If he's calling down a flush draw, it hit. QJ is unlikely because he'd have raised the turn to push out flush draws, but that beats us too. AJ is about the only hand you're beating on the river and he'd have to be a real donk to make it this far w/ that hand.

When I first read the hand I was thinking check/call a reasonable river bet, but now when you think about this guy's ranges I think there's nothing we're beating here. I think it's a check/fold unfortunately. At least you didn't pay off his implied odds and he loses money on this play over time.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:26 PM

What do we beat here if we make a blocking bet? What hands do we want him to call us ? K8? What is he gonna bluff with that also called both the flop and turn?

Turn size is fine, its 2/3, which makes it incorrect for draws to call, while still getting value from worse hands.

EDIT: I dont get why people advocate to increase the turn betsize. You have TPTK versus a reasonable player. Why do we want to bloat the pot? So we can get commited when he hits his draw/2p/set/str or whatever? this is just being results oriented

the river is a clear c/f to me. If he bluffs it, so be it, he made a great decision (in regards to your hand, he's bad if he bluffs this more often than ~10% of the time) to do so on this board. But I doubt this particular villain will bluff this, since the board is also scary for him.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:42 PM

i check fold the river. u now beat 0 hands. u bet the flop and turn. so not too likely he shows uo on the river with air and is able to bluff u off the best hand. he isnt very aggro so i honestly dont even expect a bet from 2 pair type hands here.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:15 PM
 is offline

Thanks for replies,

I checked the river and he bet 27$ and I folded. I usualy bet about 3/4 pot on turn, when I suspect that somebody is drawing. But since I made that bet on the turn I also have to be able to lay it down when the 3spade fell. If he bluffed me or if he chased the draw and hit, well then he will be making less $$ in the long run IMO.